Leather strop material source?
I'm looking for some horsebutt leather to make more strops. I have a local Tandy Leather store that I used to buy some from, but now they stopped carrying it in smaller pieces, and you have to buy it by the 'entire animal', which is wayyyy more than I need.

I've purchased it here in the SnS, but the name of the seller escapes me right now and I haven't seen it offered recently. <<<<EDIT---- Just remembered, it was Axehandle. I'll PM him also.>>>>

Anyone remember the seller? Or, alternatively, found another source for good, thick material?

Thanks in advance.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Kansas City Star, November 15, 2016: "Local equestrians are finding some of their horses have been 'tushy-scalped.'  Some unknown villain is cutting out small, fairly narrow, strips of hide from the horses' butts, then carefully bandaging the wound, and leaving $10 bills tacked to the stable door.  'We are at a complete loss as to why someone would be doing this,' says Al Neuman, county extension agent.  Police are investigating."

Does Tandy still sell belt blanks suitable for carving?  Would that leather work?  As I recall, the carving-grade belt leather is pretty thick.  Granted, it's cowhide rather than horse; but it's hide.
Tools for Working Wood, Brooklyn, NY
I've bought from the member Axehandle and was extremely happy with his leather for the 2 strops I have with the lee valley green compound. he's posted in s&s a few times. best of luck
My brother got his hands on an entire roll of leather belting (new old stock) that would have been used for old belt driven machinery. I sold a few pieces of that here a few years ago. This is premium 1/4" thick leather in 2" wide strips.  I may be able to get some more next month. This is not horse butt, but it is great strop material.
(11-08-2016, 10:51 AM)Bill_Houghton (quoting a source) : Wrote: "Some unknown villain is cutting out small, fairly narrow, strips of hide from the horses' butts, then carefully bandaging the wound, and leaving $10 bills tacked to the stable door.  'We are at a complete loss as to why someone should be doing this,' says Al Neuman, county extension agent.  Police are investigating."
Bill:  would that be "Alfred E. Neuman"?  I'd be inclined to say the poor disfigured bovines got "butt-skinned".

Laugh
Tony
Yup, it was Axehandle that I bought it from previously. I edited my OP stating that within a couple minutes of posting, but the words of my edit didn't show up, just the <<<>>>.
Not sure what the problem is...
I sent Axehandle a PM.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(11-08-2016, 01:31 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: Bill:  would that be "Alfred E. Neuman"?

The very same.  Finally grew up and got a job.
(11-08-2016, 11:36 AM)brofessor Wrote: I've bought from the member Axehandle and was extremely happy with his leather for the 2 strops I have with the lee valley green compound. he's posted in s&s a few times. best of luck

+1

TFWW is WAY to expensive for strop leather.

That said, my go-to strop now is MDF with Autosol compound.  I have a mix of vintage and modern steels.  No problems polishing.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Well, I plan on using this leather for more than just a strop. I also use it to recreate the leather ends of vintage chisels, and a few other uses. For this reason, I prefer the thick leather.

If Axehandle doesn't have it, or the price has increased substantially, I'll just get a big hunk from Tandy and sell a few strops here to offset the cost a bit.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com