Leather strop material source?
Thanks for the Zach White referral.  Not familiar with his operation, but it looks very comprehensive.

I think your pricing compares horse butt from TFWW to cowhide from Zach White. There is a significant difference between the two when used as a strop, as horse butt is much denser...or did I misunderstand the comparison? As far as chisel handle washers are concerned, I don't see any advantage to paying extra for the difference.
(11-09-2016, 11:04 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Thanks for the Zach White referral.  Not familiar with his operation, but it looks very comprehensive.

I think your pricing compares horse butt from TFWW to cowhide from Zach White.  There is a significant difference between the two when used as a strop, as horse butt is much denser...or did I misunderstand the comparison?  As far as chisel handle washers are concerned, I don't see any advantage to paying extra for the difference.

Nope, unless ZW is misinformed.
http://www.zackwhite.com/9-oz-Genuine-Horse-Hide-Butts

A 9oz bride leather side (cow) would be about $0.06/sq inch too (before shipping). Snake, slightly more (http://www.zackwhite.com/Snake-Skins_c_298.html)

It isn't made terribly clear on the ZW web site, but I believe most of their leathers are not vegetable tamed. I'm only inferring this, contact them directly for the straight dope.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
This will satisfy your needs. Remains from a weight-lifters belt. Shipping today.

[Image: DSCN3095.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3096.jpg]
Mcmaster Carr sells leather
(11-09-2016, 01:05 PM)lilrichard2 Wrote: This will satisfy your needs. Remains from a weight-lifters belt. Shipping today.

[Image: DSCN3095.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3096.jpg]

What a great idea!