Hose Bib Problem
A gate valve is the last choice for a throttling valve.  For systems in continuous service, a globe valve is the best choice.  A hose bibb is nowhere near continuous service.  A ball valve in the application I suggested, if built of reasonable quality materials will provide years of service and is a 2 minute swap when it no longer works.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Quote: Just as a loose bolt in a vehicle will rattle away until it falls out, so too the spindle or stem of your hose bibb
Not saying you are wrong. Just that this is a relatively new faucet and the packing is tight. There is quite a bit of resistance to the stem turning. The other bibs that don't have this problem are many years older. Also, the harder washer seems to have alleviated the problem. I just need to find one not quite as hard. Is it possible to spec the hardness of faucet washers?

Quote:A gate valve is the last choice for a throttling valve.
Please explain. I've tried using ball valves for fine tuning (throttling?) the flow and found it more difficult than with a properly working standard valve with a washer (proper term? - stem valve?)
A "standard valve with a washer" is technically a globe valve as is your hose bibb. The better choice for throttling. A ball valve can be fussy to set for throttling but they seldom have drift problems from a setting.
OK. Thanks. I thought the ball valve was referred to as a "globe valve".