Aspen
Hey, long time no see.   Couldn't log in with my old stuff from the late 90's, so had to create new account.  

Live in the mountains of CO and do a lot of wood turning with it.  Yes it is a pain to work with since its so soft, but it makes some beautiful boxes and bowls. 

So after getting something turned, it takes forever to put the finish on.  The aspen just keeps soaking in the finish, no matter what I try using on it.  I can't remember how many coats of deft the last bowl took before it finally started building up and looking decent, but it was somewhere around 8 or 10 when it was done.   When I did the old famous finish that used to be the thing on this site, BLO, Shellac followed by Waterlox.  That still took many many coats.  

What do I need to do to seal the wood before I start applying a finish?
Shellac
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(11-09-2016, 10:09 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Shellac

I use shellac for other species of wood for that exact purpose.  I have not tried it on Aspen, but like you I would assume it would do the same.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-09-2016, 11:17 AM)Cooler Wrote: I use shellac for other species of wood for that exact purpose.  I have not tried it on Aspen, but like you I would assume it would do the same.

Should also add, thin, maybe 1/2# and use a dewaxed shellac.  On a lathe, rag & friction will dry it VERY quickly.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(11-09-2016, 11:40 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Should also add, thin, maybe 1/2# and use a dewaxed shellac.  On a lathe, rag & friction will dry it VERY quickly.

I should have mentioned that I'm lazy and I use Sealcoat.  I'm not sure what the cut is, but I use it out of the can.  It is dewaxed.

Addendum:  I just went on line and I read it is a 2# cut.  

I brush it on and it takes about 30 minutes to dry.  It sands easily--but it smells a bit.  Still, it is a quick way to build coating thickness and it seals odors, knots, etc.

It is also perfectly safe for use on children's toys and furniture (they sell food grade shellac--it is what makes M & Ms shiny) so no worry there.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.