it's always something. Door threshold insert failed
no they likely look like a cap head on the top and a bolt/ washer on the bottom. to remove them you pry the two apart from the bottom side. use two small pry bars and it will pop apart. If you cannot get under the washer put a 1/4" nut on the threaded section and pry there. Screwdrivers will work but you have to make a fulcrum point on each side to do that Try to lift them straight up or you will have an issue when you put them back together. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I needed a replacement insert.  Couldn't find one easily, so made a replacement insert out of pressure treated lumber.  It was a bit of a pita - the profile was complex including angled relief cuts (not like the URL posted earlier).

Anyways, it works..but now the door jambs have rotted out.  The two events are not connected other than what rots out the threshold will eventually rot out the jambs too (food for thought).

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Joe,
thanks, I guess I need to remove the rust and see what's up with my fasteners.  I still have some stuck in the aluminum

eta: the stuff I thought was white oak was actually some really nice red oak. I can't believe they painted it pink, it's beautiful. So I'll probably go pressure treated.
I knew I had a piece of 1x6 pressure treated, so I'm going to use that.  Hopefully I can get enough construction material from around the tablesaw to cut it.
ok found one 
this is all the parts for one connection in  the wooden adjustable piece of the threshold 
[Image: 009_zpsrcnkfqky.jpg]
this is the top view of the screw and a tee nut if the threshold is wooden 
[Image: 011_zpsiaytjuw7.jpg]
partly assembled 
[Image: 012_zpsaedpeahj.jpg]
[Image: 013_zpslkcztms9.jpg]
the parts are pressed together with the threshold in the center of the sandwich  I generally take a tee nut and reverse it on the threaded section then use two small renovator bars to pry the two pieces apart. Unless they are really corroded they should pop apart and be reusable 

If not you can use 1/4"connector bolts (I get them at the True value or Lowes here ) and push nuts. (True Value or Ace are the only one who carries them here) 
[Image: 014_zpswqljok3z.jpg]
and if you want a bit more support put a flat washer under the push nut 
[Image: 021_zpsrefsjltg.jpg]
I would suggest you counter bore the heads with a 3/4" forstner bit as the heads are 11/16" and I do not have that size bit The larger one works fine. 
[Image: 020_zpsmvskbwha.jpg]
[Image: 018_zpscwa653bt.jpg]
I hope this helps 
Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I'm not the OP, but JGrout's effort to help and instruct is the kind of generosity that makes this place so great.

Well done.
yes that's a really nice post, thanks Joe. Push nuts are the key to replacing them, never would have thought about that.  My screws are goners, in fact I haven't managed to get 3 of the 5 out of the remnants of the threshold yet. Going to take brute force.
If you have to you can always relocate the holes adjacent to the existing ones by drilling and tapping the threshold, I would do this prior to fabricating the new adjustable piece so you can layout the new locations accurately  

I would suggest a little anti sieze on the new bolts to keep them from doing the same thing 

Joe

I think I can put them wherever I want, they thread into a channel in the aluminum, not into holes.