Rabbet nest
I was using my #98/99 planes this week and took a photo of them in their holder. It is just a 2x4 scrap with two dados but is very handy.

[Image: DSCN0786.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Good idea!  I'll have to make one of those!
Your idea is good and it is a nice way to store the tools But I have found the metal, particularly cast iron, tends to rust when in contact with unfinished wood. Finished wood works a little better. Wood absorbs water, humidity.
If I am going to put a fresh ground plane on a finished wooden shelf even for a very short time I but a piece of waxed paper down first. A small piece of waxed paper between the planes and wood will do wonders. 

Tom
I had a rust problem in my garage shop until I installed a dehumidifier. It has been keeping the rust bunnies away from most. I store my planes sole down on a plywood shelf and have not noticed a rust problem but YMMV. I think the plywood keeps condensation from forming on the iron. But your point is well taken. I keep my really valuable tools inside the climate controlled house to prevent rust.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com