#45 Irons
I had an earlier #45 that had most but not all of it's cutters. I gave the plane to my son, he said he had picked up a set of cutters without the plane . Some of the sharpening was pretty grim. You have to wonder how or if it cut wood. I picked up another #45 with some not all and a full set of cutters. I'm not looking forward to sharpening two partial sets and one full.
A man of foolish pursuits
(11-12-2016, 02:23 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I had an earlier #45 that had most but not all of it's cutters. I gave the plane to my son, he said he had picked up a set of cutters without the plane . Some of the sharpening was pretty grim. You have to wonder how or if it cut wood. I picked up another #45 with some not all and a full set of cutters. I'm not looking forward to sharpening two partial sets and one full.

Here is a tip for combination plane cutters. Remember that only the tip is used for cutting. Unlike a chisel, there is no need to flatten the backs. Just knock off the rust and polish up a half inch or so on the flat side. Then touch up the bevel. I made these cutters for years and also rehabbed old sets of cutters. Unless they are rusty, the plow cutters can be honed to a razor sharp edge in less than a minute apiece. Ditto for the tongue cutter. Of course, the beads and sash cutters take a minute or two longer.

I used my #45 just last week. As Admiral said, it is handy to have extra bodies. I have one loaded with a 1/8 cutter because that is the one I use the most. I opened the box, adjusted the fence, and plowed two drawer grooves in no time.

[Image: DSCN0783.jpg]

My group of #45s have made my ww life much easier. I really like this plane.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I bought a cheap Stanley block plane that cut really well from the store and I'm not sure I have ever sharpened it.  Probably should some day.

I've never sharpened any of my 45/55 blades either.  Neither have gotten heavy use.  I made some picture frame molding with the 55, it worked pretty well.