Help With Vintage Draw-Knife Please
Look these pictures over and tell me whether it has been bent, or is it designed to be this way. I'm assuming that it has a high rake - just worried about the angles of the individual handles relative to the blade..

[Image: DSCN3117.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3118.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3119.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3120.jpg]

r2
Looks to me like someone bent them and not the same. That's just what I get from the photos. Actually it look like it would be very difficult to use. Have you tried it at all?

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Looks like it was bent on purpose to me, too, perhaps for use on some work that needed the clearance, such as barrel-making.  The handles are adjustable, but even adjusted better, they'd be awkward.

If they were bent out, I imagine that they can be bent back; but you might want to heat them first.  Find a local blacksmith type who understands you don't want to lose the temper on the cutting edge.

Little bit of a bummer that someone did this with an folding-handle drawknife. At least around here, drawknives are common; but I've only seen two folding-handle knives, both of which followed me home (my son now has one).
Bent. Likely on purpose.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Wink Any half decent blacksmith type should be able to rebend them. You just need to find another to match it to