Have you ever had an addition put on your home?
If you want cheaper then find a GC who doesn't sub everything, that is, one who has a crew that is employed by him. If he has a good crew then he won't have to sub much if any.

Not always completely true. A GC may have his own Rough and Finish carpenters, but not usually, Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC and Masons. It is just too big of an operation to have all those trades on staff. He will sub those out as needed. One reason is additions are not a large business anymore. Most people just move up to a new/newer house that fits there needs.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I didn't say it was always true. 
My crew can build a complete home except for the foundation, HVAC, and some types of masonry.
I rarely sub anything except roofing. And that only because the workers comp for it is too expensive for me to do competitively unless I sub it.
(11-14-2016, 07:53 PM)Woodjets Wrote: I didn't say it was always true. 
My crew can build a complete home except for the foundation, HVAC, and some types of masonry.
I rarely sub anything except roofing. And that only because the workers comp for it is too expensive for me to do competitively unless I sub it.

My miss read, ya I can see the roofing liability, I for got about that. Also I am guessing demands for additions vary by location. In WI not much demand. They have a nice new room, with or without a nice new bathroom ect, then the old kitchen, other bathrooms and living space. Unless they do a make over on them also, a house that has 2 time frames on the interior.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk