Fire rated door
(11-13-2016, 12:11 PM)woodhead Wrote: 90 minute doors are commercial. Your garage to the house door should also be self closing (spring hinges or homeowner closer) for code...if you care.

Al

Code must be different here, my garage to house door isn't self-closing.
(11-13-2016, 07:51 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Best bet is call your municipality building inspector, he/she will let you know what is code on burn time and closing devices.
True experience, I was on my communities volunteer/paid Fire Dept. We had a record 3 minute response time to the fire station. This house was less then a 1/2 mile from the Fire Station.
About a 1M$ at that time, mid 80s, beautiful May day, warm with a strong SW wind, 2 story Colonial with an attached garage, wife has the windows open in the house to "air it out", goes to cut the grass with the riding tractor mower, Garage over head door open, facing SW. Drives the thing into the garage, it starts on fire, runs in to grab the 2.5lb Fire Extinguisher from the kitchen BUT the door from the house to the garage DID NOT have a closure device on it. It was left open. It was like a forge, she could not go back to the garage, she grabbed the cordless phone called 911 from the front yard, we got there in 4 minutes to basically do a basement clean up.
"A" if the service door was self closing it would have just been a garage fire/loss.
"B" hit the close over head door button by the service door and left that open it would have been a lost garage and some smoke damage to the house.
Its your call, Cheaper aint better!!!

for a contractor in a previous life you sure seem clueless about code 

And yes I failed to add that the door needs at least one spring hinge to meet the closure requirement but then a tagged fire rated door would have that in order to receive the tag........
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Grout,
Codes vary state to state to some degree. So If I buy a slab fire rated door, it wont have hinges on it. Also you have to be certified to drill the lock sets holes in it in WI. I dont know all the codes, why would I need to? That is just a call away to the building inspectors office.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Grout to add, I have bought and installed slab tagged fire rated doors into existing frames. So I think your statement about the hinge thing is erroneous. Since you can have normal hinges and put a door closer on it.
But as smart and all knowing you are, I am not telling you anything you dont know it your infinite wisdom.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I doubt there is any state where the code of a fire door that is premade and prehung would meet a standard less than the code and the code is pretty specific here . 

I also know for a fact unless you are licensed to construct and hang a slab  fire door you could not tag that door so it was not a fire door in the eyes of the code and cannot be tagged as such 

As for closers I cannot recall a single hydraulic closer installed in a residence All the builders use spring hinge(s)

No licensed vendor for fire rated doors is going to do that unless it is a commercial application other than a handicapped group home in a residential neighborhood  (which is a commercial application)
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

KC if the door was hung incorrectly you might want to re install if you decide to go to YouTube and look up Gary Katzs he has a great install method fast and easy to adjust
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks for all the good information !  Am I understanding correctly that the spring hinges can't be swapped out for normal hinges.  Not a deal breaker, but I do tend to carry a lot of things into the house at time and the rebel in me might want to do some modification.

Mike
They can be if the same profile. Or if I remember right they make a spring loaded hinge pin. Or at least used to do.
Yes they still do.
https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windo...5960486403
Smirk

if you defeat the action or replace the hinge you no longer have a fire rated door 

and all spring hinges are interchangeable with standard pin hinges 

Is that a big deal

only to the insurance company I expect if there ever was a claim 

Joe

(11-14-2016, 11:25 PM)JGrout Wrote: if you defeat the action or replace the hinge you no longer have a fire rated door 

and all spring hinges are interchangeable with standard pin hinges 

Is that a big deal

only to the insurance company I expect if there ever was a claim 

Joe

Ya know what, instead of all this BS here, call your Home Owners Insurance Company and local Building Inspector and get a finite answer from the horses mouth.
Grout thinks he is all knowing, like Moses coming down from the burning bush that did not get consumed.
Smirk