Woodworking Veterans
To: All (especially disabled veterans)

Just returned from Rob Cosman's "Training the Hand" week long course for wounded/disabled veterans, and wow, what a great experience. There were 6 civilians and 7 veterans, with all expenses paid for the veterans. Rob is offering free lifetime membership in his hand tool video classes, it's open to all disabled veterans, and the attendants were selected from some of first ones to sign up.

Discovered that Rob is a completely different individual than his on screen or teaching persona projects. For those who have only seen Rob in what I call "teaching mode" believe they miss the humble side of him, his passion for helping the less fortunate, and the depth of his sense of humor ....

But wait there's more! The first morning each veteran had a metaphorical visit from "Santa Claus" and the other donors that made this possible, each received new tools! This included saws, planes, chisels, and honing stones, the core tools required to take the class.

The first day we learned to sharpen the Cosman way, I could sharpen freehand prior to the class, but my ability to sharpen in seconds came because of the instruction. By the end of the first day each person could take a dull pane blade to an ultra sharp one in literally seconds! Then by the 4th day we were hand cutting dovetails that needed no test fittings or paring, put them together right from the saw and most rivaled Cosman's own dovetails!

For any veterans that have not signed up for the free lifetime Hand Tool classes, don't hesitate, does not matter when or how you served, or what disabilities you have, it's open to all disabled veterans. If a veteran wants to learn woodworking and has no tools, then let Rob and his team know that, they may be able to help. Plus signing up for the video classes might open the way for some lucky vets to attend one of the in person training classes. The class and the facilities were handicap accessible and there were no issues using my wheelchair, Rob and the facility went out of their way to provide whatever we needed as support items.

My understanding is that Rob gives 10% of the proceeds from his saw sales to support this effort and when someone pays for a membership in the Hand & Power tool course, a veteran will receive an upgrade to a lifetime membership in all of his video training classes.

Again, if you are a disabled veteran, you qualify for a free membership in the online Hand Tool classes, period. You don't need to have been wounded or even fought in a conflict, and at times there are even some donated tools available for those that need them.

My heartfelt thanks to those that have donated to this effort, I still get choked up thinking about your generosity and selflessness.

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum
that's really nice.  I'm a veteran, but I give thanks every day that I'm not disabled.
I would love to attend his class, but that would be a long haul for me. Maybe next year or the year after following more recovery time. I'm thrilled to hear your class went so well, hope for this old vet.?
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
BOM:

Travel is very difficult for me also, in fact I have to travel with an attendant/caregiver and Rob and his donors paid for my caregiver to travel and stay with me during the class....don't let that stop you!

Regards,
Andy
Glad to hear the work rob does for disabled veterans.

I have one of his dvd's (rough to ready) I think he is very good at his teaching skills, I would not hesitate to take on of his course.
Bruce.
" Rob is offering free lifetime membership in his hand tool video classes, it's open to all disabled veterans, and the attendants were selected from some of first ones to sign up."

Are you saying that Veterans with a disability can sign up to view Rob's videos without cost?

Thanks
Yes that's my understanding, any disabled veteran can sign up....

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

-- mos maiorum
I know you posted this in woodworking and I still wish I could travel or even be able to attend even one class.  However, I never know how I will be from day to day.

Where does he teach anyway?  If it was close to St Louis where my daughter is Maybe sometime.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm pretty sure he's up in Canada Arlin, not to say he doesn't do classes down in the USA, I do not know one way or the other.
Bruce.
Rob Cossman periodically teaches at the Seattle Woodcraft. January 2017 classes:
"Sharpening and Handplaning" 1/26
"Handcut Dovetails" 1/27
"Advanced Handcut Dovetails" 1/28

Call: (206) 767-6394 to sign up