Insulating the woodshop
I may be buying a new wood shop with an attached house.  The wood shop is a pole building with 4 garage doors and cement floors.  I would like to insulate it.  Is spray foam the best for this?  Or, should I put 2X4's 24" OC horizontally across the poles and use 24" wide fiberglass?  I plan on putting up interior OSB walls, so I will put up the 2x4's anyway.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
What is its size? 4 over head doors, losts of heat loss on those, do you need 4? Can you remove some and convert to standard wall structure for insulating?
Foam over glass insulation, cost and R value payback. What is your heat source in there?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(11-17-2016, 08:28 PM)MikeBob Wrote: What is its size? 4 over head doors, losts of heat loss on those, do you need 4? Can you remove some and convert to standard wall structure for insulating?
Foam over glass insulation, cost and R value payback. What is your heat source in there?

I plan on maintaining the garage aspect of the shop, i.e. dual purpose, but I could just leave two doors.  I will need to put in insulated doors though.  The current doors are not. 

I will have to add a heat source.  Potentially I could put in a solar heat collector on the back / south side.  I am thinking electric ceiling hung space heater.  I will have more time to hash out details if they accept my offer.
(11-17-2016, 09:07 PM)Cecil Wrote: I plan on maintaining the garage aspect of the shop, i.e. dual purpose, but I could just leave two doors.  I will need to put in insulated doors though.  The current doors are not. 

I will have to add a heat source.  Potentially I could put in a solar heat collector on the back / south side.  I am thinking electric ceiling hung space heater.  I will have more time to hash out details if they accept my offer.

Where are you Geographically??
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

If you can find an insulation installation company locally you can often buy insulation from them way cheaper than you can from the big boxes.

I had an insulation company put blown-in insulation in my attic for the same cost I could buy the insulation and rent the machine at HD.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-17-2016, 09:30 PM)meackerman Wrote: If you can find an insulation installation company locally you can often buy insulation from them way cheaper than you can from the big boxes.

I had an insulation company put blown-in insulation in my attic for the same cost I could buy the insulation and rent the machine at HD.

It all depends on how busy there are. They are a commodity, material cost is universal, but they need to keep the staff working.
Smirk

(11-17-2016, 09:27 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Where are you Geographically?
Western NY.  Snow country.
(11-17-2016, 10:56 PM)Cecil Wrote: Western NY.  Snow country.

I am guessing temps about the same in WI where I live, so what wall stud depth, ceiling height and heat source options? What temp do you want to keep? I keep my house at 65* when awake, lower at night, shop about 60-62*. If doing Poly Oil based finishing 64* during the winter.
Smirk

I just reread all here, I woud put it the high R rated glass on the walls, I think it is R 13 on a 2x4 wall. Ceiling R32 blown in. get rid or blanket the over head doors that you dont think you will use with glass insulation.
Heat I dont know, you have not given dimintions, spell check sucks. I would go natural gas or a Propane Radiant heat, if no natural gas line a 100lb+ propane tank with radiant heat or forced air. Check the air intake and closed spaces specs here.

http://www.hotdawgmodine.com/?gclid=COnG...aQodaTYL9g

http://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/...opane.html
Smirk

(11-17-2016, 10:56 PM)Cecil Wrote: Western NY.  Snow country.

Using electric heat there would take Bill Gates money, I suspect. I like Mark's idea...call an insulating firm and ask them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.