Insulating the woodshop
Our shop is in an old machine shed. Vertical cedar car siding on post and beam structure. We foamed it and put in a wood stove. Didn't see any reason to put up studs just to hold glass insulation. I'm satisfied with it (in cold northern Illinois) except having to heat it all over again every morning.
(11-18-2016, 06:00 PM)Cecil Wrote: Actually we have some of the cheapest electric available.  ~ $0.067 per kWh.  Drive a short distance and it doubles in price.  We make up for it in taxes though.  There is natural gas to the house, and I could extend it to the garage.  I have read the gas puts moisture into the air as a byproduct of burning.  Assuming what I read was true, and since the price is about the same, I would prefer electric.  My previous house had a forced air electric furnace.

Cecil, double check your numbers...even at 6.7¢ per KWH, nat gas will be cheaper. Regardless, that is an extremely low rate and a little over 1/2 of what I pay. But if I had nat gas avaialable there's now question what i would use...a vented furnace. Like they said above, gas does generate moisture, but it goes out the flue. Ventless heaters are to be avoided at all costs.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-20-2016, 07:39 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Cecil, double check your numbers...even at 6.7¢ per KWH, nat gas will be cheaper. Regardless, that is an extremely low rate and a little over 1/2 of what I pay. But if I had nat gas avaialable there's now question what i would use...a vented furnace. Like they said above, gas does generate moisture, but it goes out the flue. Ventless heaters are to be avoided at all costs.

6.7per kwh would be nice. .14 here. Can get iit down around .07 but it higher fees and we would have to use at least twice the electricity we do now to get that rate. He more you use the cheaper it gets.
15 to 35+ cents kwh, tiered system in California. The more you use the higher rate you pay.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-20-2016, 07:39 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Cecil, double check your numbers...even at 6.7¢ per KWH, nat gas will be cheaper. Regardless, that is an extremely low rate and a little over 1/2 of what I pay. But if I had nat gas avaialable there's now question what i would use...a vented furnace. Like they said above, gas does generate moisture, but it goes out the flue. Ventless heaters are to be avoided at all costs.

Rates are here http://www.jamestownbpu.com/electric/rates.php.  Outside the city folks use National Grid, which is ~ twice the price.  However, we quickly make up the difference in taxes.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Sorry, wasn't questioning your rates...I'm sure they are that low. Point being that still makes electric about 4 times higher per BTU than nat gas (unless i screwed up my calculation). Of course, anything nat gas will be higher on the install. Regardless, I wish you the best with your choice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You made an offer, just curious if they accepted, countered, or?
Smile

Makes the planning that much more exciting (and antagonizing at the same time.) Working through how to add a shop on my new property now, which I think I have a solution to - though insulation will be easier than the structure as it's going to have to be cantilevered out on a pretty good hillside (40* or so, so while the walkin entrance will be at current ground level (or near) the backside of the ~20x25 structure may be 9-10' in the air above the current grade.)

Good luck in your shop(ing) endeavors!

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(11-20-2016, 02:04 PM)Cecil Wrote: Rates are here http://www.jamestownbpu.com/electric/rates.php.  Outside the city folks use National Grid, which is ~ twice the price.  However, we quickly make up the difference in taxes.

That's amazing.  I'm 100 miles North in Lewiston, 3 miles from one of the largest hydroelectric plants in the East, and my rate is nearly twice that.  Regardless of how cheap your power is, put in a lot of insulation.  It won't cost much more and power costs only go up.  

John
(11-21-2016, 08:57 PM)MichaelS Wrote: You made an offer, just curious if they accepted, countered, or?
Smile  

Michael

In NY, people do not want to pay the taxes, so they are leaving.  Therefore, we have extra houses.  Supply and demand makes western NY a buyers market.  They countered.  I said no and was in the process of making appointments for other houses.  The other houses needed a wood shop added on.  About a week after my offer expired, the agent asked if I was still interested.  They and I signed today.  Home inspection tomorrow.  We are on our way.  In a few days I should have a new wood shop!  (OK, a few weeks, or more).

My brother is a real estate agent in NC. He says that they often get into bidding wars and houses sell for more than asking.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe