Gum wood
I came across some of it.  The short piece is about 20" x 10'.  The longer piece is probably 16" x 12'.  As is seems to be a bit less than flat I am considering ripping it and using alternate pieces of each to make a table top.  Curious if it is an idea worthy of doing or more than likely to turn into a roller coaster.  From what I understand I am at least the 3rd owner of this and I would guess it is past legal drinking age.  Seems it has puzzled at least 2 previous owners as to what it should be into
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I have some gum wood that was going to become a small shelf for the pantry. The stuff I have is kind of bland, paint grade quality. Still sitting in a corner waiting.  

I would rip if necessary to flatten, but would not necessarily alternate pieces.
I have to look at it some more.  Funny that it has been through many hands and not put into use.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Ripping and cutting closer to needed length may surprise you on the amount to prep for S4S, both can go a long way toward eliminating curvy pieces. If you do need to work it down make sure to remove like amounts of wood from both faces, even dry for a long time it tends to move on getting prepped, especially if you remove a lot. Gum is as close to Forrests box=a=chawklettes as you will get in the wood world.

characteristics

Plain, pretty, to OMG all the same wood.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-18-2016, 11:52 PM)Steve N Wrote: Ripping and cutting closer to needed length may surprise you on the amount to prep for S4S, both can go a long way toward eliminating curvy pieces. If you do need to work it down make sure to remove like amounts of wood from both faces, even dry for a long time it tends to move on getting prepped, especially if you remove a lot. Gum is as close to Forrests box=a=chawklettes as you will get in the wood world.

Cross-cut to approximate length before you rip.  Not only is it safer because you're working shorter length, it will make long sweeps into modest curves for surfacing.  No need to get overly concerned about equal amounts from either side.  Make it planar and look for the best figure.  Close is good enough, given the number of cycles the wood has gone through.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Unless you plan to crosscut down to 8" or less. But I didn't say which order to do them. I figured OP had that info already.

GW
(11-19-2016, 10:22 AM)Steve N Wrote: Unless you plan to crosscut down to 8" or less. But I didn't say which order to do them. I figured OP had that info already.

Someone snuck in and did just that.

"Ripping and cutting closer to needed length may surprise you on the amount to prep for S4S, both can go a long way toward eliminating curvy pieces."
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Cutting closer to finished length, and then ripping to width would work as well. You need to take some of this.

[Image: 45259.jpg]

I hear it works for people who share your affliction
Sarcasm

GW