Interior Divided Light Doors Build Along - Part 6
Here's link to Part 5.  With the arch jamb and door stop made I moved on to the door components.  I made the 4 stiles and two lower rails needed for the two doors in the same manner as for the rectangular door.  For the arched rails I started by making two templates from 1/4" plywood.  I rough cut the radii on the bandsaw and then used my oh so nice Stanley #113 compass plane to smooth both the inside and outside curves to the layout lines.  

[Image: bb4FO54d5WjTtDs5JSC0VEyc3c9DrLbOEPyrsmE1...38-h628-no]

In order for the clamps to stay at 90° with the stiles the core of the arch needed to be almost 16" wide.  So I glued up a big piece of LVL then rough cut the inside curve.  I also rough cut the hardwood edge that needs to be glued to that curve.  Then I attached the templates to each piece and smoothed the mating edges on the router table with a large top bearing bit. 

[Image: FLfAfrv68Nvb_6DUnVucxrWn_NTof2yxrC_enuCK...38-h628-no]

My J/P is only 14" wide so I had to cut off a portion of the core to be able to joint/plane the core + edging to final thickness.  I did that now, which made clamping the edging in place easier. 

[Image: V_Nmwu9mPx5IShJKsfv3U-ZiTNIX8itumB-0Xmh9...38-h628-no]

When the glue had dried I jointed and planed the rails to final thickness, 1-1/2" inches.  Then I attached the template again and routed the outer edge of the hardwood piece smooth. 

[Image: eahqFlGRKM4sEqmLpgqKBLb_gB53TVS88QaIdBlo...38-h628-no]

There were a few bumps on that edge - should have used MDF for the template.  So I took a few swipes with the compass plane to remove those bumps.  It really is the perfect tool for this job, working from the ends to middle to avoid tearout. 

[Image: E3yt_rpPhnaGA7EovS-HLLAdEmKl6c4jjR9PQHOd...38-h628-no]

With the cutoffs laid back in place, this is how the arched rails look now.

[Image: NcHV9MOJ5PyBJxtXAJP8lpdqHwCYjhbHtIVgJecg...38-h628-no]

Next up, veneering the rails and dimensioning the stiles and rails in preparation for cutting the joinery.  Thanks for following along.

John  

[url=https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7325245][/url]
John, I am learning so much from this door tutorial and enjoying it at the same time.  Hard to believe that you have not made one of these arched doors before.  Ken
Glad you are enjoying it, Ken.  If I come across as knowing what I'm doing it's mostly due to Joe's guidance.  He's saved me from several missteps and his counsel in the background of what I'm posting here has made a world of difference.  And I can't take credit for that very clever way of making the muntins, either, only in executing Steve Latta's approach.  I will take credit for the composite arch rail approach.  Joe uses solid stock for them, and I definitely see why.  There are just too many steps with the composite arch rail for it to be time efficient.  But on the plus side, it will be as stable as the other components and uses less hardwood.  

If I haven't said it enough already, that Stanley compass plane is the slickest thing for creating smooth, fair curves.  

I'm test fitting the rectangular door today.  The head jamb and floor are way off level.  Wish me luck.  

John