older oneida cyclone mod to get rid of internal filter
I remember posting about this before, but I never did anything about it.  Anyone still running the internal filter?  Anyone do the mod without help from Oneida?
I have one of those cyclones I got 2nd hand that had the internal filter, but the PO had already upgraded to the external double filter.  Not sure what they were thinking, but doubtful that small filter was ever adequate in the first place.
well, the internal filter works to some degree and it's efficient in terms of space.  I bought mine second hand too.  The original owner used to beat on the drum to clean the filter, which does work.  I see they sell an external filter for $400, and then you need sheet metal to connect it.  I don't know what they did inside the cyclone, just take the filter out and leave it like that?  Seems to defeat some of the purpose of the cyclone. It's not the best cyclone design, but it was part of a package deal and my overall cost was pretty low.
Other than the internal mount for the filter I am reasonably sure it is only a matter of adding the retrofit parts to the unit. Even that may must be the shroud that keeps material out of the fanbox 

AFAIK I have never seen anyone do a mod without using the Oneida parts to do the work as the parts would really just be plug and play

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe,
Do you have one?  If the idea is just to remove the filter, then there is a nearly direct path between the inlet and outlet, which means that less of the lightweight stuff falls out in the cyclone.  As far as the retrofit kit they sell, it looks like it's just an external filter, and they don't even include the elbow that attaches to the existing outlet.  It doesn't say anything about the internals, so I assume there is nothing. OTOH, it seems like a reasonable price for an external filter. I guess I could rig up some sheet metal to move the outlet further down in the cyclone.  

Mine has a muffler on the outlet, I probably would remove that.

Ok, just looked at the site again.  This is what I was looking at http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp...=FXK010039
It's not really a retrofit kit for their older cyclones, just a way to retrofit an external filter to any DC.

funny thing is that the price is $400, but if you  open the document on that page it says $280.  
Also would need about $50 in reducer and elbow.  Probably rig my own hangers. 

The muffler ("silencer") on mine is $400.  Whoa.
Eric:

I do not, mine is a much larger one.

I helped assemble one  yrs ago and do not recall all the details of how it was put together now things get fuzzy on one off deals
Wink

If you could post some pics it may jog my memory especially the outlet side
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks Joe, I'm about to move it so I'll take it apart then and remind myself of what it looks like.  I suppose I could just leave the filter in there and open up the bottom end of it.