enclosure for portable generator
Hi all,

I have a portable generator that must be stored outside due to lack of inside space. I thought I'd build an enclosure for it, a garage of sorts I guess, that could also serve as a table between two adirondack chairs in the back yard. Looking for advice on the material to use and any ideas about construction that you might have.

Thanks,
Mikey
Will the enclosure be just used for storage or will the generator be run inside of it ?     Roly
just for storage
White Oak or Cedar weathers well.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I have one of these

I got it in the Christmas Auction.  
Big Grin
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I have mine in a large plastic doghouse that I got at a garage sale. The top half lifts off for operation.
Not specific to this, but to generators in general - if you run it in any enclosed or semi enclosed space adjacent to living space, buy a CO detector.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
Provide some ventilation for gas fumes which may accumulate. Nothing fancy; just a little breathability.

And if the top is slatted or porous, put a sloped 'roof' inside, like is often done with decks where people will be under it.

And I would definitely make it look fully enclosed, to disguise the contents against theft.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks, everyone. The generator will be outside the enclosure when running.
A suggestion if the reason for it is to give you power to key components of the home in case of power outage, is to put your enclosure as close as you can to your homes breaker box. Then you can put in a bypass box that does away with need for a lot of electrical cords, It runs the generator right into your electrical panel. The surround isn't of much consequence. Thoughts are to vent it so the explosive gas that runs it doesn't get overheated and ignite, so plenty of air around the generator, and venting to let heat, and fumes get out. Beyond that all you need is a box that has a top that opens, and front that can be unhinged so you can open it so you can do fueling of the generator, pull it out easily in case maintenance needs to be done, and you can make blend into the surroundings.

Google generator transfer box, bypass box, and any term you can think of that may have info about this. If it lets you know what to do, and you are comfortable doing it, go for it. If not call an electrician.

If it's not for home use, just to power some tools remotely, then something that looks like a dog house does two things. It gives a potential thief the thought that a dog is present, they don't like dogs. Plus it provides weather protection, and hides valuable property.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW