Who to call for this job?
This is a job I would refer to a renovation contractor. Not a full blown GC but not a handyman either.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-27-2016, 11:45 PM)JGrout Wrote: as long as you understand the parameters I agree with StWood any handyman can tackle the job. 

Hiring a GC is overkill

Who is going to be able to pull the permits for electrical and plumbing ?? A Handy Man cant. If in any type of decent local, it can an will bite you in the butt at resale/home inspection time.
No GC is needed if the home owner here gets in a licensed plumber and electrician, then a Handy Man to do the demo and finish work. I get that!
But no HM for the whole job unless where they live where "the home owner" can do it upon proper inspection !! Letting the HM do it and the home owner at inspection time ses they did it. It will still have to be to code in there area.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Where do you live JSpill?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-28-2016, 03:01 AM)MikeBob Wrote: Who is going to be able to pull the permits for electrical and plumbing ?? A Handy Man cant. If in any type of decent local, it can an will bite you in the butt at resale/home inspection time.
No GC is needed if the home owner here gets in a licensed plumber and electrician, then a Handy Man to do the demo and finish work. I get that!
But no HM for the whole job unless where they live where "the home owner" can do it upon proper inspection !! Letting the HM do it and the home owner at inspection time ses they did it. It will still have to be to code in there area.

It should be to code but the likelihood of a code inspector ever looking at it are slim to none, unless it's permitted.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thank you to everyone who replied. You have given me a lot to think about. Recently, my daughter and son in law had a major renovation done on their nearby house. A family room, bathrooms, a bedroom and garage were added. They were very happy with the contractor that did the job. I think I will first contact this general contractor. If he tells me the job is too small for him I'll move on. Since people in my family were pleased with his work it will be a good place for me to start.
(11-28-2016, 03:01 AM)MikeBob Wrote: Who is going to be able to pull the permits for electrical and plumbing ?? A Handy Man cant.

Why can't a handyman pull a permit? I'm neither a handyman nor a GC and I've pulled several permits.
Homeowners around here (western NY) have no problem pulling any permit for 'normal' construction, including electrical. Doesn't matter who does the work - if you pull the permit yourself, you're responsible for having the work done to code and for getting required inspections as they're due (like rough and finished for electrical, and similar for framing/insulation/etc.).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
around here anything over $500 (IIRC) requires a contractor license....$500 is both parts and labor.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

very little of that is true. 

I am not a GC and I have been pulling non structural remodel  permits for yrs without an issue. The electrician and plumber do the same. 

One can act as their own GC here as well if they own the property 

It is not rocket science, well maybe it is
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I acted as my own GC to build my 1200 sq ft shop. Wasn't rocket science, but dealing with the county inspectors took at lot of patience....good thing I had help with that.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark