Book of coffee tables?
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resou...hp?cat=477

A few styles.
Didn't Kramer on Seinfelt have a coffee table book?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Lots of good advise here... lots of furniture builders have their "go-too" books for building furniture. I'm married to a librarian so as previously suggested - go to your local library and check out their collection on furniture building...
            My favorite "go too" or furniture building "bible" is a Fox Chapel publication titled "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" written by Bill Hylton. At the beginning of each section, the author gives general dimensions... for instance, a coffee table should be between 15' and 18 inches high... 
             Other posters have their favorite furniture building "bibles" and my choice may not suit you the best. If you choose to check out my favorite, the ISBN is 978-1-56523-369-0. The ISBN # is unique to its' publication. If your library doesn't own this book, they probably are members of an area consortium and can get this book using the ISBN #
It is never hot or cold in NH. It is always seasonal.
Amazing how much much trouble we go through just so we don't have to hold our coffee cup while sitting at the couch.
Having built a bunch of small tables here is my two cents.  Art and crafts things are very robust.  Strong legs and M & T joints, cross braces.  Mid century modern, much more fragile but can be visually more interesting.  What kind of wood, solid glue ups or plywood?  How comfortable are you with  complex joints?  And how much time will you spend when Plan A does not work?  (I have gone to Plan C on a small table I just built - and probably will go to Plan D soon.)  

Depending on design, these are not that tough unless you want some complex design.  The hardest thing to do is the first cut, after that you are committed.
(11-27-2016, 08:34 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Have your FIL show you where it will go. The space can go a long way to defining the shape (square, round or rectangular) and his other furniture probably guides the style.

This is the best starting point.  It will eliminate a lot of wasted effort and bewildering choices to be offered.
I don't think it's been mentioned yet so I will recommend looking at Woodsmith's plans. They are easy to follow and all the small stuff is already done for you. They have a nice set of Mission or A/C style end and coffee table plans. About as close to a timeless design as you will find.