Cutting bar stock
Can I use a 60pt carbide blades (RAS) to cut steel bar? I'm cutting a 1/2" square tube and need 4 pieces exactly the same size. I can cut it with a hacksaw, then grind it to the same size, but cutting in on my RAS would be faster and more accurate.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
No. Carbide tipped blades are for use on non-ferrous metals only.
Brass, aluminum, etc.
Carbide tips are brittle -- they shatter if they hit anything steel.

Get a new hacksaw blade and tension it right. Mark the cut well and grind to fit.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks. Knew I couldn't cut threaded rod, wasn't sure about tubing.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Cutoff wheel on a angle grinder.      Roly
If you are going to make a habit of this, consider a cordless portable bandsaw.  Drop hints to Santa.  They are the cats adze for work like that.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-27-2016, 08:42 PM)blackhat Wrote: If you are going to make a habit of this, consider a cordless portable bandsaw.  Drop hints to Santa.  They are the cats adze for work like that.

I have a bandsaw, what type of blade would you suggest?
Mike

(11-27-2016, 04:17 PM)Scouter Wrote: Can I use a 60pt carbide blades (RAS) to cut steel bar? I'm cutting a 1/2" square tube and need 4 pieces exactly the same size. I can cut it with a hacksaw, then grind it to the same size, but cutting in on my RAS would be faster and more accurate.

Porta band not a WW bandsaw 

[Image: 4197G2BRZ6L.jpg]

12-14 TPI works on this saw
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The make a table accessory for the saw Joe posted.  I have that saw but the table is another $250 and I haven't come across a deal on one yet
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-27-2016, 08:27 PM)Roly Wrote: Cutoff wheel on a angle grinder.      Roly

+1
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson