I have a question that I just can not figure out
What is the difference between a Stanley #-80 and a spokeshave and how is the spokeshave used of not like the #80?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-28-2016, 12:18 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What is the difference between a Stanley #-80 and a spokeshave and how is the spokeshave used of not like the #80?

#80 is a scraper. Spokeshaves cut.

There is a variation of a scraper called a "chair devil" that looks like a spokeshave but functions as a scraper.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Like Rob said, a No. 80 is a scraper.  It's not used to remove a lot of wood.  Just to remove tearout, tool marks, and stuff that the hand plane left behind.  The blade is barely off vertical, tilted toward the direction of pushing the scraper, just like you'd use a hand scraper.  The No. 80 works better if you put a burr on the end of the blade, just like a hand scraper.  The spokeshave works like a plane, and it is typically used for shaping long, cylindrical pieces, like chair and table legs, and other curved pieces.  The blade in a spokeshave is sharpened in much the same way as a hand plane blade.

Scraper in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmCfOH4k0Q

Spokeshave in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahfcXH6Io3o
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Unlike Woodman I use the Stanley 80 for two rather delicate jobs.

The first is scraping the surface of highly figured veneer after it comes out of the press.  A sharp finely set scraper plane will cause no tearout and leave an excellent surface which only requires a little sanding (for final flattening).

The second can be the finishing of interlocked or wild grain surfaces of solid timber.  Again no tearout.

Incidentally the price of new 80 types and the shortness of the blade are a disgrace.  Much better to buy an old one!!

Best wishes,
David
Arlin if you can find a stanley #80 I found one a a flea mkt cost me 10 bucks i thinks its great
south vietnam war collage
Thank you guys

I am thinking I have a #80 but again thinking I used it years ago for my grandsons high chair.  For some reason I was thinking they were both the same or almost the same thing.  I did go to Lee Valley and looked at theirs and was quite awed at how nice they looked. 
Now that I am talking about it I do thing that WoodCraft was selling a set of Groz ones at one time but not sure.  I also see that Lee Valley sells a kit to make your own!

Does that kit make all three of the different kinds of spokeshaves?  Or how just does it work.

Last can a #80 be used to smooth the stuff that Spokeshaves do?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(11-29-2016, 05:13 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thank you guys

I am thinking I have a #80 but again thinking I used it years ago for my grandsons high chair.  For some reason I was thinking they were both the same or almost the same thing.  I did go to Lee Valley and looked at theirs and was quite awed at how nice they looked. 
Now that I am talking about it I do thing that WoodCraft was selling a set of Groz ones at one time but not sure.  I also see that Lee Valley sells a kit to make your own!

Does that kit make all three of the different kinds of spokeshaves?  Or how just does it work.

Arlin, the kits are for spokeshaves, not scrapers.  They don't have a scraper kit.  The spokeshave hardware kits are for either a large or small low angle spokeshave.  Not the same as their flat, concave, or round spokeshaves.  The Veritas Cabinet Scraper is their equivalent of a Stanley No. 80.

And no, the No. 80 isn't used to smooth the stuff spokeshaves do. The No. 80 has too large and flat a sole to go around curves. Scrapers scrape. Spokeshaves cut. To smooth out tool marks after a spokeshave, you'd either want a hand scraper or sandpaper. (I won't go into the benefits of rasps. We'll leave that for another thread.)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-29-2016, 05:13 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thank you guys

.................Arlin, Stanley made the #80 in malleable iron as well as the usual gray cast iron, and unlike the cast iron version, you can drop the 80M on a concrete floor and it will remain in one piece...It is far more rare than the ordinary #80, but they do show up occasionally. Worth looking for....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

OK I get it now.  "Like you said Scrapers scrape. Spokeshaves cut" or how I see it that scrapers are finish work on flatwork and Spokeshaves start the work but in a different fashion of rounded things as in the name Spoke as a wheel.

Perhaps the easiest clue, and simple way for someone unacquainted with a new tool is this:
Question, Does this tool cut or scrape?
The answer is revealed in the escapement. Where is the part on the tool that is intended to permit shavings to escape?
A 151 spokeshave has a provision for shavings which have been cut to escape. A number 80 scraper has the very same thing on the other side. The escapement enables shavings which have been scraped to escape.