Upgrade from Rikon 70-100 to Nova 1624?
I’m pretty sure I’ve found my upgrade lathe, but just want to make sure I’m not missing something critical.

For starters, I’m new to turning. I bought a Rikon 70-100 several years ago, but really just dusted it off and started using it this past year or so. I guess I’m leaning toward bowls, but am also interested in many spindle projects. I’ve been experimenting with both.

Today, I received a mailer from Woodcraft advertising the new Nova 1624 Type II for $849. That seems like a really great bargain to me – especially if the local store has it in stock like their website says so I won’t incur shipping charges. 

From what I understand, it is belt driven, which means, like the Rikon, I will still need to change pulley’s to change speeds. For this price, I’m OK with that. I’m not assuming this would be my last lathe, but am hoping it will serve me well for a number of years as I progress.

So, any words of caution/wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
I have this lathe (the Type I, meaning gray) and like it a lot.  It does have it's limits in length at only 24".  I like the rotating head.  The belt changes are quick but I've ordered a DVR replacement for it.  I think I'm going to fully love it when it is VS.  If you can get it locally that would be awesome.  I had a headstock issue with mine that required waiting for a couple of weeks after I got it to actually turn on.  That sucks!  Their parts are a little slow too, I ordered my DVR head back in the middle of October and it keeps getting pushed back.  I rarely use the outboard attachment, so if that's something you are considering, I'd turn for awhile and see if you "need" it.  I should have bought the bed extension and swingaway for it instead. 

For all it is and isn't, it IS a solid lathe at a fair price to get in at the range it offers.  That's my opinion at least.
I've got its grandpa, a Nova 3000 I bought used about ten years back.  I don't do much belt switching, since I own a bandsaw  and use it for round/balance.  On rare occasions I have gone to that 320, mostly I turn at 688, varying my feed to vary the inches/second.  It will swing 15.75 inches X 9 of soaking wet hard maple, no problem with a 1HP rated motor.  I turn between centers until the piece is at its lightest, but swinging out halfway puts the piece well within the reach of the standard banjo/toolrest.  No tailstock support, of course. 

If I discover any problems, I'll let you know.  I had to align the sheaves and replace the belt since the previous owner had not done so, and take out a huge ding he made somehow in the toolrest. Both immediately after I bought it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have no serious complaints about mine. Belt changes are very fast. When Woodcraft marks it down, it is really hard to beat.

I have turned some really big bowls on it. I occasionally use the outboard tool rest.
I've had my 1624 for about six years and no problems at all.
I usually only change speeds once with bowls/platters; once-in-a-blue-moon twice.
I have never needed to move it for spindle work.
Like APC I purchased the outrigger.... but I never ever used mine.  Sold the outrigger a couple of years back to get it out of the way. Oh, on the + side, they do make a very nice holder for the knock out bar.
That's only $150 off the retail price for Woodcraft.  There are other times of the year where they mark down the 1624-44 quite a bit more than that.  The 1624 II lathe is a 1 HP motor, compared to the 1.5 HP motor on the 1624-44.  I thought the Nova 3000 had a 1.5 HP motor, but I could be wrong.  I'd seriously consider waiting for the steeper discounts and upgrading to a 1.5 HP lathe.  That's 50% more power compared to the 1 HP motor, and it does make a difference if you're trying to take a big bite out of green bowls.  Otherwise, as MM points out, you end up turning slower (time-wise) or you end up stalling the motor (belt slipping) more often than you'd like.  The dollar is doing really well against foreign currencies right now, so the prices might come down.  Patience is a virtue.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-29-2016, 03:53 PM)AHill Wrote: I thought the Nova 3000 had a 1.5 HP motor, but I could be wrong.  I'd seriously consider waiting for the steeper discounts and upgrading to a 1.5 HP lathe.  That's 50% more power compared to the 1 HP motor, and it does make a difference if you're trying to take a big bite out of green bowls.  Otherwise, as MM points out, you end up turning slower (time-wise) or you end up stalling the motor (belt slipping) more often than you'd like.  The dollar is doing really well against foreign currencies right now, so the prices might come down.  Patience is a virtue.

I learned long ago that it takes very little actual "HP" to take off a shaving.  More, sometimes much more, to scrape or dig a chip off.  The 3000 I have is a 1 HP, and the feed rate is varied for tool control, not because there's too little HP.  Takes about 20 minutes average to make a wet rough.  Bit more than half of that is on the inside. 

Almost 30 minutes to do a cured re-turn and sand.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The 1624 II lathe is a 1 HP motor, compared to the 1.5 HP motor on the 1624-44. 

From Teknatools web site:
"The NOVA 1624 II Lathe represents the most power, most versatility and most features of any comparable mid range lathe.

This updated model has a fresh new look in black to match the new NOVA Galaxi Lathe and the new NOVA Voyager Drill Press. All other features and benefits remain the same from the older model."

Specs on the site state 1.5 HP, the same as my 1624-44
https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-1624-ii-lathe/

Looks like a great price to me.
For some reason they list the 1624-44 at 1499.99 I paid about 1250 six years ago.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/147595/...lathe.aspx

and the 1624 II at 849.99 (normally 999.99)
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/162341/...lathe.aspx
Thanks all for the replies. 

Yes, this is their brand new version with a 1.5 hp motor which is what got me so interested. The next step up (Nova) is the Galaxi DVR with 1.75 hp. I suppose there is not much of a comparison since the DVR has variable speed and is direct drive. I just can't see why it would cost more than double the 1624.  

--Mike
(11-30-2016, 11:16 AM)MoMan Wrote: Thanks all for the replies. 

Yes, this is their brand new version with a 1.5 hp motor which is what got me so interested. The next step up (Nova) is the Galaxi DVR with 1.75 hp. I suppose there is not much of a comparison since the DVR has variable speed and is direct drive. I just can't see why it would cost more than double the 1624.  

--Mike

I stand corrected on the HP rating.  I gotta wonder why the very large price difference between the 1624 II and the 1624-44.  If the motors are both 1.5 HP, the tailstock and stands are both the same, and the speed ranges are the same, then what's the $500 difference?  Nova is no longer making the 1624-44, so this is the replacement.  But I really gotta question how they can make the II for so much less than the 1624-44.  Good price?  For what you get, yes.  It just has me wondering what's under the hood.  Maybe it's just an introductory price.  I'm just a bit skeptical.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill