Concave Spokeshave
I am looking at Veritas and Record. Any comment or recommendations?

Thanks
I have the Veritas but almost never use it, I just use flat soled ones which are way easier to sharpen.  This is for making spindles for chairs, and I don't mind a little texture on them.  What do you plan to use it for?
(11-30-2016, 02:24 PM)Souperchicken Wrote: I have the Veritas but almost never use it, I just use flat soled ones which are way easier to sharpen.  This is for making spindles for chairs, and I don't mind a little texture on them.  What do you plan to use it for?

+1. 

The radius on the concave spokeshave really only works well with something that's very close to that radius.  You're much better off using a flat spokeshave and rasps, followed by a scraper for shaping round things.  If it's cylindrical, a lathe is the best tool.  Think about it.  You rarely find concave spokeshaves in the wild.  And you find far more flat ones than round ones.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the reply and I apologise for the typo.

I planned to use it for making a bunch of 40/50s style sci fi toy rocket models. After reading your response I experimented with my small LN flat spokeshave and found that it will work just fine.

Thanks
(11-30-2016, 08:02 PM)RB61 Wrote: Thanks for the reply and I apologise for the typo.

I planned to use it for making a bunch of 40/50s style sci fi toy rocket models. After reading your response I experimented with my small LN flat spokeshave and found that it will work just fine.

Thanks

Oooooh, wanna see pictures when you are ready!
Ag
Must. See. Photos.
Yeah, a regular flat spokeshave is more versatile, and I've never had problems shaving things to approximately round shapes.

Shave it to an octagon, then break each of the corners. From there, smooth things out with a card scraper. Use a flexible one that you can bend around the curve. Finish up with sandpaper. Just be aware that if there's reversing grain, or if the grain doesn't run perfectly true, you'll want to be prepared to pull or push the shave according to grain direction.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop