What to do with a brand new Stanley #5 Handplane
A couple years ago the yoke in my Stanley #5 Handplane broke. In the ensuing time I bought Wood River #4, #5, #6, and #7 handplanes. So the other week I sent that little yoke back to Stanley and they sent me a whole brand new #5 Handplane. Is there any good reason to keep a 2nd #5 or should I sell it? thanks
Grind a heavy camber into the iron and use it as a scrub plane. Lots of folks use a No. 5 for this purpose.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
They are cheap. I like to keep several around for a couple of reasons.

First, they are cambered to different extents, so I can grab the one I want. Sharpened straight across, it works well to shoot the ends of boards using a bench hook and running the plane on the bench. Most work rough uses the moderately cambered one, but I also have a #5 with a severely cambered blade.

Second, if someone visits and gets interested in hand tool woodworking, a spare #5 is very nice to have around to give or sell to an interested beginner.
Keep it as a loaner. If somebody asks to borrow a plane, hand him that one.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I have a new Stanley 5c that is the most useless plane I have ever bought.  Sole has a crazy twist.  Of course, when I say "new" it means that it's 25 years old, but it hasn't been put to wood very many times. Plastic handles don't do much for me either

I have a LN scrub plane, which is one of my favorite tools. Not sure what else I would do with the Stanley, but replacing the LN is not it
(11-30-2016, 02:32 PM)enjuneer Wrote: Grind a heavy camber into the iron and use it as a scrub plane. Lots of folks use a No. 5 for this purpose.

YES!!  Other than that its a POJ.
(11-30-2016, 02:28 PM)macpiano Wrote: A couple years ago the yoke in my Stanley #5 Handplane broke. In the ensuing time I bought Wood River #4, #5, #6, and #7 handplanes. So the other week I sent that little yoke back to Stanley and they sent me a whole brand new #5 Handplane. Is there any good reason to keep a 2nd #5 or should I sell it? thanks

Pretty good customer service right there.  I like that.
My "new" (30 yrs.) #4 spent a few years as a paper weight, and then was tossed into the recycle bin. It's probably causing someone grief as a 'Made In China' shower curtain rod.
I have a 6"x48"/9" belt disc sander so Stanley soles up to #5s are no problem. Tom probably has a better way. I have a crude Footprint #5 that will become a  scrub.
A man of foolish pursuits
Hone a square blade on one and use it for a dedicated shooting plane, or put a high angle frog in one and a regular frog in the other.