Ford F-150 Truck
Steve, my daily driver F150 Crew received only factory recommended services and is doing great. I did the transmission flush, fuel line and injectors done at 100,000 and 200,000. I started using full synthetic at 150,000. I still haven't had anything done to it other than regular service and maintenance (brakes, air filter, oil filter, tires, etc) and it is still running like a top. I'm currently at 249,700 miles.

I'd stick with the factory recommendations. Anything else is unnecessary, IMO.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
My 1998 750iL BMer has 180K on it, runs at 90mph between moms  home and mine, 97 miles away, both about 1.5miles from the Interstate, 1 hour and 7 minutes is my best time door to door .Used Mobil 1 in it, runs like a Champ, I give the Preios ones a V 12 in Latin as  I blast by them with there Lib bumper stickers on them, not to mentioned  the Subaru's!!!!!
If it was black I could do the Jason Statham Transporter  Movie, but  mine is Alpina White.
I run all my cars over 200K Toyota's, Volvo, 98 Bonneville, 225K till some old person T boned me, 2nd best road car I had next to the 750, it had one the 6 3800 engine, conventional oils changed at every 3K,
Bmer Mobil one, change at 10k Add as needed, heck it takes 9 qrts and change the filter at 6500.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(12-02-2016, 06:43 PM)jlanciani Wrote: My 2016 Forester with 25000 miles on it uses about a 1/2 qt. between changes and I'm using 6k mi. change intervals and Mobil 1 0w-20. Using 1qt. per 1,000 miles is rediculous.

Your Forester kind of demonstrates the point.  Again, 1 qt/1000 miles is the industry standard or limit, not what we expect most vehicles to consume.  For example, if you took your Forester to the dealer for high oil consumption, they would likely cite that spec and tell you that 1/2 qt between oil changes is within spec, even though your consumption is likely higher than the median.

As  practical matter, manufacturing tolerances have improved significantly since that spec was established in the 1990's or so, which has contributed to reduced oil consumption.  In the last 5 to 10 years, the new cars I have bought have not consumed a measurable amount of oil for the first 100K miles or so - and I think that experience is more typical of the norm.
aluminum block engines have a tendency to use/burn more oil that iron block engines.
(12-06-2016, 09:38 AM)tomsteve Wrote: aluminum block engines have a tendency to use/burn more oil that iron block engines.

Why would that be?  Expansion?

Aluminum blocks have cast iron cylinder sleeves and all valve trains have the same seals and steel inserts as the cast iron engines.

My F150 with 200k miles only uses about 2.5 quarts per 10k miles and it's all aluminum.
(12-04-2016, 01:04 PM)geek2me Wrote: Not sure who you mean is "rating" the filters and oil, but it sounds like you mean the oil and filter vendors.  Exceeding the vehicle manufacturer's recommended change interval is likely to void your warranty if you have issues they can claim are oil related.

Some conventional oil manufacturers do provide high mileage warranties on vehicles when their oils are used and their recommendations are followed. A lot of requirements and "jumping through hoops", but if you keep the records and proof it seems to offer reasonable coverage.

The 2013 Equinox gets mobile1 every 4-5k miles even when the computer says I may have 50%-70% left on the oil. I place the old oil in the jug and label it with the date, % on the computer, the mileage and the receipt. If they try and pull that bad oil stuff on me I'll have the oil tested and if there is a problem with it, it will be a problem with the engine, not me.
(12-06-2016, 09:52 AM)daddo Wrote:  Why would that be?  Expansion?

Aluminum blocks have cast iron cylinder sleeves and all valve trains have the same seals and steel inserts as the cast iron engines.

My F150 with 200k miles only uses about 2.5 quarts per 10k miles and it's all aluminum.

"only uses  2.5 quarts" is over a half a gallon. that's a LOT of oil.
(12-06-2016, 10:21 AM)tomsteve Wrote: "only uses  2.5 quarts" is over a half a gallon. that's a LOT of oil.

In 10,000 miles? Hardly for a 14 year old work truck with 200,000 miles on it.
(12-06-2016, 10:26 AM)daddo Wrote:  In 10,000 miles? Hardly for a 14 year old work truck with 200,000 miles on it.

welp, I have a 96 1500 with 235k on it ( 350 cast iron engine block)in my driveway. 1/4 quart in 3000 miles.
My 01 Buick has 300,000 miles on it. I run Castrol 10w30 and it uses no oil between changes of 5-6000 miles. The transmission fluid is original and so is the fuel pump. Has been a great car.

We have 2015 Tahoe PPV in our fleet that drink oil like its nothing. 3 or 4 quarts in an oil change cycle.

We flush transmissions every 30-35,000 miles on light duty and like every 1500 hours on big trucks(Allison) . We did see an improvement in them lasting longer in our fleet.
ASE Master Auto and Medium/Heavy Truck Technician, Service writer and parts consultant.
Master Emergency Vehicle Technician-Police Vehicles