Ford F-150 Truck
(12-04-2016, 10:06 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I think you are right.  But as I think back on the it now, I'm sure I didn't change the oil until the first recommended oil change interval at 3000 miles, or whatever it is, not at 1000 miles as I said before.   That probably still wasn't enough to completely break in the engine, however.  I remember a guy who used to race cars saying that the engines on some cars never get really broken in; they are just driven too gently.  I certainly drove that first Subaru hard, it was a WRX, but maybe not for long enough before going to synthetic. 

This will all be a non-issue soon.  I'm sticking with regular oil on this car.  The next one will require synthetic from day one. 

John

John,

WE have a 2014 Outback ( 6cyl) and have used Mobil 1 synthetic with  no apparent consumption issues. From spending time on a Subaru forum, it seems many experience oil consumption like yours when using synthetics. Reading further, Mobil 1 use had the greatest number of people with higher oil consumption compared to other synthetics ( Valvoline had few) Doesn't make sense to me why this should happen. You might try an oil change with a different synthetic and see what happens.
(12-06-2016, 05:39 PM)tomsteve Wrote: welp, I have a 96 1500 with 235k on it ( 350 cast iron engine block)in my driveway. 1/4 quart in 3000 miles.

Well, it's hard to compete with the 350 to begin with. That was probably the best engine chevy had in it's time. In earlier years of the 350 there were valve stud problems, but that was quickly worked out.  It was like the 318 the dodge had- a work horse that wouldn't quit.  I had a 92 chevy van with the 350 and 220k miles on it that hardly used oil and drove as well as it did new before I sold it.

I had a new 94 dodge 1/2 ton work truck that went to the junk yard at 142k- it was smoking and burned two transmissions. And I took good care of it too- it couldn't deal with the loads.

The Texas heat and the 1,500 lbs I carry every day, not including another 600lbs of equipment maybe twice a week for all these years and pulling a trailer, I think the F150 has done well. If I had just used it as a mostly empty part time transportation truck, I'm sure it would have done much better. At any rate, I can't complain. (And the radio and a/c still work).
Laugh
(12-06-2016, 10:26 AM)daddo Wrote:  In 10,000 miles? Hardly for a 14 year old work truck with 200,000 miles on it.

As another data point, my 2000 Ranger has 160K and uses less than a quart in 7000 miles between oil changes.  I am using conventional oil, likely would use more with synthetic.
(12-07-2016, 11:59 AM)geek2me Wrote: As another data point, my 2000 Ranger has 160K and uses less than a quart in 7000 miles between oil changes.  I am using conventional oil, likely would use more with synthetic.
I never had issue with oil use the three Ford 3L V-6s that I had in past years (including one in a 1991 Ranger).  However, all three needed head gaskets before 100K miles.
(12-08-2016, 07:21 AM)WxMan Wrote: I never had issue with oil use the three Ford 3L V-6s that I had in past years (including one in a 1991 Ranger).  However, all three needed head gaskets before 100K miles.

Interesting.  Mine has the 2.5L 4 cylinder and no issues with the head gasket.

What symptoms did you have with the head gasket failure?
(12-08-2016, 09:57 AM)geek2me Wrote: Interesting.  Mine has the 2.5L 4 cylinder and no issues with the head gasket.

What symptoms did you have with the head gasket failure?

All three eventually started losing coolant with no evidence of leaks under the vehicle or coolant contamination in the crankcase.  Did the dye test and saw it coming out the tailpipe.

Now, I should probably amend my post just a tad.  On one of the V-6s (in an 86 Windstar), we discovered a cracked head on one bank during the head gasket replacement.
I had a 86 F Ranger V6, 225K on it, and untill in a flooded area and sucked up some water and bent a crank rod, the engine was solid and did conventional oil  changes ever 3-4K and never a engine problem or using oil. One of the best vehicles I had next tomy 98 Bonneville with the 3800 V6, drove and performed greatly, same thing, conventional oil every 3-4K, 225K but a head casket at 110K, still would be running but some old lady T boned me and totaled it out.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(12-06-2016, 10:26 AM)daddo Wrote:  In 10,000 miles? Hardly for a 14 year old work truck with 200,000 miles on it.

yeah it is...my son's '02 Ranger with the 4.0l V6 has 226K miles on it and does not use a measurable amount between changes (about every 6 mos).
I sold my 90' F150 2 years ago.  It had the big straight 6.  Ran Mobile 1, very little oil used.  Drive train was still good, after the transmission leak was figured out.  This was the 5 speed, the squibs would pop out and the transfulid would leak out.  The first time the Ford dealer missed it and ended up buying the rebuild. Of course I was on my way to Hati with the Air Force and had to deal with it long distance.  The second time, I told my independent shop to check and they found the leak and plugged the holes.  I had about 230K on it, but the cab frame was weak from rust, so the doors would not stay shut.  I have a 02 2500 HD ext cab long bed now.  Has 225K on it, engine is strong but had to replace the oil lines.  Had just a small leak, but wanted to run full synthetic this winter.  The leak could have gotten worse quick, glad I had it checked out.  Otherwise, I do a Ford Quick Lane. They use 1/2 synthetic and every 4 oil changes I get 1 free.  My other shops can't compete with the price. Dan
(12-09-2016, 09:26 AM)vernonator Wrote: yeah it is...my son's '02 Ranger with the 4.0l V6 has 226K miles on it and does not use a measurable amount between changes (about every 6 mos).

Update.
 I went back over my records a few days ago. I made a mistake. I was buying oil and it was reflecting also the old 2000 Chevy Tracker I have. The truck is using a bit less than 1.5 quarts between 10k oil changes, the Tracker, the rest.