Nova G3 for $150 a good deal?
Righty tightly.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-04-2016, 08:03 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Righty tightly.

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-04-2016, 05:41 PM)iclark Wrote: On the Axminster chucks, which way do you turn the key to tighten the grip on a tenon?

On the OneWay, the answer would be clockwise (righty-tighty).

On the Nova, the answer would be counter-clockwise.

Are you "tightening" in a mortise, or over a tenon? 

Clockwise tightens in the mortise I favor, but if it didn't, I'd turn it CCW.  Mnemonics aside, you're snugging a chuck, not threading a nut.  Be adaptable.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-05-2016, 05:53 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Are you "tightening" in a mortise, or over a tenon? 

Clockwise tightens in the mortise I favor, but if it didn't, I'd turn it CCW.  Mnemonics aside, you're snugging a chuck, not threading a nut.  Be adaptable.

I specifically asked about gripping a tenon so as to avoid that ambiguity.

I can be adaptable, but there are times that it is easier to trust muscle memory than to stop and think about which brand of chuck is holding the work at the moment.

I make it a point to snug up the chuck occasionally when I am turning and always after a break. Accidentally loosening the chuck because I did not stop to think gets real old in a hurry.

I just prefer to keep things as simple as possible.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Yup.  Never use tenons, personally.  Owning one species of chuck eliminates any ambiguity in favor of automatic response.  Checking the result after adjustment eliminates all doubt.

NEVER "tighten" in a mortise, you can blow it out. Not even the best to do on a tenon if it's not firmly shouldered.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-04-2016, 05:41 PM)iclark Wrote: Hi Arlin,

On the Axminster chucks, which way do you turn the key to tighten the grip on a tenon?

On the OneWay, the answer would be clockwise (righty-tighty).

On the Nova, the answer would be counter-clockwise.

thanks,
Ivan

The rationale for the Nova CCW tightening is that you are typically holding the piece in your right hand and tightening with your left hand.  So, lefty-tighty is easier CCW.  Makes sense.  They also have an arrow showing you which direction to turn to make the jaws go in.  Not saying one is better than the other.  Just pointing out the rationale.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill