glueing up wr cedar - carving out a pair of oars
What really looks nice is to plane/cut the boards down to about 1/4" or less and laminate them together using symmetrical colors. Cut waste with bandsaw and sand to the final shape. 

Burn the words; "Up The Creek" nicely in the paddles.  
Winkgrin
Daddo:   What really looks nice is to plane/cut the boards down to about 1/4" or less and laminate them together using symmetrical colors. Cut waste with bandsaw and sand to the final shape.  

New plan:  daughter decided on just one oar to hang parallel over fireplace instead of two crossed oars. SO........I think I'll take the quick and easy way out and cut the full oar from wide stock and not have to worry about glue-ups, etc. (Was originally trying to get two oars from one board. Will have more leftovers for other projects for same money.) Will cut time and efforts down immensely...and hopefully have it for Christmas rather than a birthday later.

You can say that again.
Cool
Here's a link to a how-to-do-it on building a set of oars.

http://contrib1.wkfinetools.com/bSmalser...ars-01.asp

He's even using cedar.  I'd use spruce, but that's what I have.  Also a cool gauge for octagons if you'd like to make oars with 8-sided looms.

http://contrib1.wkfinetools.com/bSmalser...sGage1.asp

Phil
I have made paddles from cedar several times although for canoes not displays. You can use Titebond 1  or any glue you like. My paddles were laminated using about 5 or 6 pieces to make up the outer edges of the paddle. Oars are similar except narrower. I used epoxy with a filler to make the glue thicker. Not necessary for a display oar.
mike
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. Learning a lot on this one, knowledge wise and skill wise.

UPDATE ON THE PROJECT:    When I went to buy the cedar, there were flaws in the 2 or 3 pieces I had considered. Change plans. Only good 6' piece was 2x8 instead of 2x4 or 2x6. More $$ but clear, straight, nice grain. Able to cut the entire oar in one piece with no glue-ups to worry about. Several large pieces of excess for future use. Oar is all cut and marked for various contour lines. Spent rest of time blocking out the shaft into octagon shape with a #5, a block plane, and a sharp chisel. Have almost a kitchen waste can full of aromatic shavings. Planing was a pleasure and the first time I ever sized stock that much with just planes and a chisel. Tomorrow will be blocking out the blade section and refining the octagon shaft into a round one.

Maybe some pictures when it gets closer to its final shape. Not too interesting looking at this stage.

PS:  JIM IN TALAHASSEE - if you see this, thanks for helping me rehab that #5. It works like a charm.