Fix This Split in Bent Wood Arm Chair
I know I can't actually fix the split, but what's the best thing to put in the gaps so I can smooth it out?

I'm going to paint these chairs next week.

Attached Files Image(s)

a good wood glue or epoxy clamp it down good. can you build a form with a matching radius for a better clamping angle?
Then sand it smooth, paint.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I was originally thinking an epoxy as well.

The chair is structurally sound.  The split is just right at the end of the armrest where you would place your hand.  Not a good place to catch a splinter.
I would remove most of that split piece if not all of it glue a dutchman patch over it and carve it back. 

That split is not going to do well even using epoxy and the chance of failure again is pretty good.....

JMO

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The splitting is natural to that particular piece cut and formed the way it is. You can replace a section of the arm if you are skilled enough... but gluing is also an option especially since you plan on a future paint job. 

A regular wood glue will serve you well but you cant apply it the conventional way (out of the bottle or with a brush). Go to a descent hardware store and ask for a wood glue syringe. I bought my set (large needle about a 1/16th bead and a thin needle - cost @ $7) at a True Value store. I'm almost sure the big box stores will not carry these on their inventory. These syringe applicators will allow you to get wood deep under the layers... once the glue is applied, squeeze down the splitting layers and wipe off the excess squeeze out. Tape the arm with the blue painter's tape and let it dry... give the area a good sanding and paint it!
It is never hot or cold in NH. It is always seasonal.
"A regular wood glue will serve you well but you cant apply it the conventional way (out of the bottle or with a brush). Go to a descent hardware store and ask for a wood glue syringe. I bought my set (large needle about a 1/16th bead and a thin needle - cost @ $7) at a True Value store. I'm almost sure the big box stores will not carry these on their inventory. "

-Bernie L

Rockler and Lee Valley - probably Woodcraft. Got mine and replacement needles from Rockler store.

For a cheaper alternative, go to a pharmacy and see if they'll sell you a diabetes syringe. Mine will for 25 cents each. I use a 22 gauge.   No Rx required, at least here -- they'd rather the junkies have clean ones than not.

Another option is a farm store like Tractor Supply that set vet syringes and needles.
I've been using the same glue syringe for years... If glue stands and dries in the syringe, I place it under the hot water faucet and it always gets clean.
It is never hot or cold in NH. It is always seasonal.