Viking tool box
They found one.
 Wonder what they will think of ours 1,000 years from now?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/too...t/?slide=2
They'll think we had too many tools.
If I remember correctly, you will need some grumpy fellow sea salt toss it overboard some night. Or, was that the gun that ended up in a military latrine?
Smirk
Someone on this board did an awesome build along a few years ago of the mastermyr chest
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
I found the tool chest more "modern" than I would have thought.   The inclusion of files was surprising, but files have been around for quite some time.  The Viking civilization lasted quite some time as well.  There's a danger in comparing carpenter's tool chests to cabinetmaker's tool chests.  A carpenter typically carried fewer tools than a cabinetmaker.  The Viking tool chest was more likely for a carpenter.  It's kind of like barn finds on tool chests.  Most farmers and/or ranchers had only a small set of tools to do the job locally.  Maybe 2 or 3 planes, 4 or 5 chisels, 2 or 3 saws, etc.  As tools became mass-produced, they became cheaper and thus you'll find more tools in the tool box as the industrial age hit.  After power tools became popular, the trend reversed.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-03-2016, 04:44 PM)daddo Wrote: They found one.
 Wonder what they will think of ours 1,000 years from now?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/too...t/?slide=2

Thanks for the link.
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I took a fancy to those Viking chests.   I recently started one, but a poor memory and some constraints of my wood-pile made my joinery styles come out different.  I also had a bag of wrought nails that I decided to start using... I'm definitely pre-drilling holes for them.

Surfaces and edges are mostly planed and shoot-ed by now, and I'm planning an appropriate use of the nice old cherry board for a lid.

Chris
Chris
(09-16-2018, 01:13 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: I took a fancy to those Viking chests.   I recently started one, but a poor memory and some constraints of my wood-pile made my joinery styles come out different.  I also had a bag of wrought nails that I decided to start using... I'm definitely pre-drilling holes for them.

Surfaces and edges are mostly planed and shoot-ed by now, and I'm planning an appropriate use of the nice old cherry board for a lid.

Chris

Have you sold your workbench, or are you just laying down (carpet) on the job?
Raised  
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Seem to remember Underhill having done an episode on The Woodwright's Shop about a Viking Tool Chest..
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-16-2018, 04:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Have you sold your workbench, or are you just laying down (carpet) on the job?
Raised  
Winkgrin

Ha Ha!  Yeah, I get a lot of comments about a carpeted shop....
The basement carpet was there when we got the house, and it has enough smashed-bug-stains and plumbing-mishap stains that it no longer matters if I get it dirty.   It's a great cushion if I drop a tool accidentally!

Sometimes if I'm block-planing vertically, there is nothing like a floor to stop the workpiece from moving.
Chris