Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander
I can tell you, after being on the fence about getting one... it's awesome.  we've had it for about a week now, and have used it dozens of times already...  it's incredible so far on shop projects or making weapons for my boys, or scroll saw Christmas trees or whatever else...  I'm sure we'll use it on nearly everything we make.  including some of our "fine woodworking" projects.
(12-12-2016, 01:44 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: FWIW, there was a guy on another forum that was making dust collection attachments for this machine. I don't know if he's still making them or not. If anyone is curious, I would be happy to post some pics.

My "solution" for dust collection on the Ridgid belt/spindle sander is the Veritas Dust Chute and reducer (Lee Valley part number 05J21.10) which is a magnetic chute that was designed for their steel router table.

What I do is take the piece that affixes to the big end of the belt to position the item being sanded and turn it over to provide a base for the chute magnets to stick to.  It works quite well since it uses the original mounting hole and screw even when upside down.  Plug in a shop vac hose and position the chute on the end of the big drum part of the belt.  The Ridgid table is aluminum so this is the easiest way to provide a magnetic base without making a steel plate to mount to the end of the table.  The vac hose will need some support as the hose is heavier than the magnets in the chute can support.

It isn't perfect but it really reduces the amount of dust coming off of the belt.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Does anybody know why the Fan under the spindle is an obsolete part and not available.
Mine is broken. The machine still works but I know I will need a new one some day
For The Love Of Wood
Doesn't it have a LSA?  Why can't you take it in for repair?
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
The part Dara is asking about takes about 15 seconds to replace so although you could take it in for repair it would be much easier if she could have it shipped to her.

I believe the part # in question is 830291 and Ridgid shows it as being discontinued.

I would be tempted to take mine to my local MakerSpace and ask their 3D printer aficionado's to take up the challenge of making a copy
Smile Unfortunately this would be just a one time solution and I have seen a number of comments about this part breaking.

Bill
I never get around to filling out and mailing LSA's..really should I guess.

I just wonder why the part is discontinued and even with a LSA you couldn't get it.

also, Dara is a guy
For The Love Of Wood
A follow up to the fan not being available for the Ridgid OSS.

I called Ridgid customer service and was told (very politely) to find a used machine and salvage the part. Why it was discontinued they had not a clue. They did suggest I send a message to Ridgid.com about the discontinuation of the part.

So I did. Probably just waving at windmills but one never knows.

The following was sent to Ridgid.com - Marketing - New Tools Idea

Dear Sir:

There are a number of comments on various woodworking forums that reference your Oscillating Spindle / Belt sander. Almost all of them favorable. As you undoubtedly know this is a very popular piece of equipment.

A part that fails is the fan (P.N. 830291). As this part provides a pressure point on the bottom of the drums, engages the drive spindle of the belt assembly, provides air movement for dust removal and it takes 15 seconds to replace it is hard to understand why it is no longer available from your company.

You have a lot of happy users of this tool out here and making this part readily available would ensure keeping them.

Please consider making this necessary and easily replaceable part available to the owners of the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle / Belt sander.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Bill Tumbleson
Thanks Bill
Thats excellent

I will try to do the same.

The part about buying a machine for parts is pretty funny though as the part that is going to be the reason for the previous owner tossing it is the one we would be looking for
For The Love Of Wood
(12-14-2016, 03:04 PM)wjt Wrote: A follow up to the fan not being available for the Ridgid OSS.

I called Ridgid customer service and was told (very politely) to find a used machine and salvage the part. Why it was discontinued they had not a clue. They did suggest I send a message to Ridgid.com about the discontinuation of the part.

So I did. Probably just waving at windmills but one never knows.

The following was sent to Ridgid.com - Marketing - New Tools Idea

Dear Sir:

There are a number of comments on various woodworking forums that reference your Oscillating Spindle / Belt sander. Almost all of them favorable. As you undoubtedly know this is a very popular piece of equipment.

A part that fails is the fan (P.N. 830291). As this part provides a pressure point on the bottom of the drums, engages the drive spindle of the belt assembly, provides air movement for dust removal and it takes 15 seconds to replace it is hard to understand why it is no longer available from your company.

You have a lot of happy users of this tool out here and making this part readily available would ensure keeping them.

Please consider making this necessary and easily replaceable part available to the owners of the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle / Belt sander.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Bill Tumbleson

I haven't checked to see if Ridgid is making the fan assembly available for quite some time. But seeing the increase in price for a new Ridgid OSS (1st since it was released several years ago) I thought I would look.

I found it on ereplacementparts.com and verified it is also available from Ridgid.

The P.N. is 830291 if you need one.

Bill
Love mine  Would replace it in a minute. As for the nut being too large on the small spindles- I picked up a nut that fits the left hand thread. A Friend does bandsaw boxes and complained about this. The nut seems to solve the issue for her. Ace hardware. Take your nut in and match it. I do not remember the size