This is two projects I have done this week
If you guys have seen Johns Carbide tools he is selling in S&S here is two of his that I put handles on.

Both of the handles are out of Bacote and copied the shape of EWT handles which I like a lot.

[Image: 120616%20002_zps2jsity9i.jpg]

[Image: 120616%20001_zps92ldeete.jpg]

Also here is two vases make out of paper Birch and with some weeds I picked out of our field.  I have sold 10 of these for 24.95

[Image: 113016%20001_zpsulj02ofd.jpg]

That is all for now but when I get time to upload more pics into Photobucket I will show what has been done for the year.
I will also show what one of the guys made from some of the Maple that was donated to us.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I like those vases Arlin. I may have to give those a try at some point.
Don
Arlin, Nice handles and vases that you made.

Need to see if i can find some Bacote and do some turning with it.

Did you hollow the vases completed out or just do a straight hollowing?
NIce work, Arlin.
I have done those "vases" a few hundred times. We call them "weed pots" because we, uh, put weeds in them. I use native weeds and grasses for mine.
I do a straight hollow on mine.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Thanks guys

The piece of Bacote was 28" long so I had two 14" handles

When I make all Weed pots (My wife does not like the name hence vase) I do it between centers and leave a small tennon on the bottom.
Then I mount it in a chuck jaws and make sure it is centered and drill the hole 1/3 the way down using a Jacobs chuck.  I then finish drilling to the depth and turn off the lathe keeping the bit in there.

I unlock the chuck jaws and move the tail stock back and the vase should still be on the drill bit.

I then put the Jacobs chuck into the headstock and bring up the tail stock with a live center to keep it center and take off the tennon.  When the tennon is off or almost off I back off the tailstock and finish cutting and sanding.

I then lock the headstock and spin the weed pot off.  Works slick as snot

Arlin

PS - I do the same with the tool handles also
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Nice work! I like handles like that, I can always find the sweet spot. The weedpots are awesome.
Thanks Hairy

Also the gift is Hmmmmm gone yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes
Laugh

Nice job on both the handles and vases .  Is the birch still green or are they dry .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
I like both Arlin, nicely done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jerry

They are dry.  I try to get my dad to cut up from 3" to 6" and the bigger allows wider lips on the top which is what the ladies want.  I know this since I sold all the wide lips and the others are still setting there.
Laugh