I'm Thinking This Wasn't Bought To Use
Though I would like to have it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172428091776

My only collectable is a very nice #113 that LOML wouldn't let me sell because its so cute. So its a bookend. I've got way too many planes but I always think I will use them.
I'm not convinced it was never used. Looks to me like he ground the sides and bottom of the plane, and sand blasted or otherwise cleaned the lever cap. The rear tote shows a lot more wear than the rest of the plane, which leads me to think that's the case. I'd not have paid that much for a Type 17. Two bidders battled over the price to drive it up. The seller is from my current home town. I don't think I know him, though.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That is WAY too high a price for any sane person to pay. I could see a really clean WWII-era #5 going for maybe $50--maybe. (Could be a little more than that if tablesawtom worked his magic on it.) Now if it were new in the box, I could see a collector paying that for it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Nice plane, but totally crazy price, especially without the box. $75 plane even on a great day. Bidding run amok.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
A lot of the wartime planes didn't have the frog adjusting screw - that might be what drove the price up.

But, no, I wasn't the buyer - that's a lot more than I'd pay for a jack plane.
(12-09-2016, 10:12 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: A lot of the wartime planes didn't have the frog adjusting screw - that might be what drove the price up.

Frog screw is uncommon, but not THAT uncommon, just means its either early in the Type 17 production run, or later when they were transitioning back to the adjustment screw.  Key would be the date stamp on the reverse side of the iron, which would date the plane to a production quarter.  I can't explain the price, its just crazy, again, especially without the box.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have two wartime #5 planes, unused, just like that one.  One, known  as "The Mummy Plane" was purchased right here in the S&S about ten years ago. It was found wrapped in an oily rag in a long-stored high school shop workbench. Another I bought at an auction.  I don't think they are that valuable, but I would be tempted to put one up on the auction site to try and be as lucky as that seller.  I agree that the plane in the listing looks altered to me. The sharpening of the iron by the seller is a tip-off. Mine have no use-scratches, but still have some age patina and the original bevels on the irons, as well as the date they were made stamped on the iron (actually the quarter and the year during which it was made; such as 1/43; meaning first quarter of 1943). The bad news is that buyer will likely never recover his investment no matter what he does with that plane. Here is what a NOS wartime plane looks like:[Image: Planeshots020.jpg]
[Image: Planeshots021-1.jpg]
I hope someone takes the time to sell my planes on ebay when I croak. They'll like me better postmortem than alive.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I would call it market price rather than crazy price. Just like some of the prices those fancy boutique tool makers ask for.

Personally, I have sold many used tools at almost the prices I paid for them years ago. A case in point, I sold a Festool tool box (4 yrs old) at the same price that retailers listed for at the time.

Buyers who don't do their homework always drive up the market prices unintentionally.

Simon
(12-09-2016, 11:22 AM)Admiral Wrote: Frog screw is uncommon, but not THAT uncommon, just means its either early in the Type 17 production run, or later when they were transitioning back to the adjustment screw.  Key would be the date stamp on the reverse side of the iron, which would date the plane to a production quarter.  I can't explain the price, its just crazy, again, especially without the box.

My #7 T17 has the frog adjustment screw. I paid far less for it than the referenced plane went for and it was in similar condition. 
Winkgrin
chris