Is there a consensus on job site saws?
I started woodworking with a Craftsman job site saw 13 years ago. I was able to make decent stuff, but there were drawbacks:

• The saw was so light that cut quality was not glue-ready. That is, I had to clean up all of my cuts before gluing if I wanted the project to stay together.
  • The saw could only take a 6" dado set up to 1/2" wide.
  • The thing was incredibly noisy.
  • No dust collection (not that I have any dust collection now, but the dust does accumulate at the bottom of my saw's cabinet).

I personally would not buy a job site saw unless I were working on job sites cutting construction lumber, or anything where the quality of the cut doesn't matter.

Just my opinion.
"The art of leadership is to work with the natural grain of the particular wood of humanity which comes to hand."

John Adair

My woodworking blog: Tony's Woodshop
I had the Ridgid jobsite saw, not the model currently sold but it's predecessor. The major issue was a flimsy throat plate. I couldn't figure out how to make a new one so I was on the lookout for new one. I got extremely lucky and found a Dewalt early version on the local Craigslist for $200. With all of the goodies that came with it, it was a no brainer. I sold the Ridgid and the stand that came with the Dewalt and made half of my money back. I use the saw quite a lot and love it. It is very accurate, easy to set up and has plenty of power for a jobsite saw. With the proper blade and feed rate, I have no problems cutting anything that I need to. To be honest, I have never used any other jobsite saw than those 2 say I can't compare them to any other.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The Makita 2705 will accept a dado blade to 13/16".
Dewalt DWE7491RS will rip 32.5" and the fence looks good. It will also take a 13/16" dado stack.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Tom, Look at the local CL, and see if there isn't a good selection of Sears 113. contractor TS's available. Usually here they are 100 to 150 bux. You can add a Beis style fence, or a Vega, something with reliable adjustment,. and you have a great saw, that can make very accurate cuts, usually for less than a Bosch. If he really wants a jobsite saw for portability I would suggest the Bosch 3000 saw
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought a Ridgid 6-7 years ago. it was AWESOME. I foolishly sold it 6months ago and have regretted it. I didn't, but you can, add a router table where the wing slides out(search YouTube for that, there is a nice video). It was dead on accurate put of the box. The new ones are $399 I believe....but I sold mine for $350.

I now have a Ridgid TS3650 and am so far happy with it BUT I wish I had my other saw back and available for use. I'd did everything I ever needed it to...home rebuild stuff, sheds, and any woodworking I could try.

Oh well....buy a Ridgid and save the money over a Bosch.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Around here there are usually a couple old Craftsman saw from the 50's for less than $50.00.  They are belt driven, and have cast iron tables, some are only 8" blades, but still not a deal breaker.
(12-10-2016, 09:25 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Around here there are usually a couple old Craftsman saw from the 50's for less than $50.00.  They are belt driven, and have cast iron tables, some are only 8" blades, but still not a deal breaker.

My Dad's 8" C'Man is available, but Houston is just a tad bit too far to ship to from Connecticut.  
Sad
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"