Can you have too much DC?
Currently using a HFDC with a Wynn in a garage shop, moving the hose to the machine in use. Works ok but can't keep up with the planer so have been thinking something with a little more suck would be nice. Along comes a Jet 3hp, 2-bag unit on CL for a good price. Is there a downside, other than the larger footprint in the small shop? I would invest in a twin for the wynn I currently have so filtration would be good and it would require a new 220 circuit, but is that it? Other pitfalls?
Thanks.
Mike
Short answer no, you can't have too much DC.

More practical answer: given many would argue a 5hp cyclone is the small shop gold standard you are still a ways off of what many use in their small shops.  The negatives with larger DC systems are cost, space, noise and increased electrical requirements both in circuit ampacity and cost to run.
I agree completely with Huxleywood.  Also, do you enjoy emptying those bags?  Do you do enough woodworking that you have to empty them often?  If the answer to the first question is "no" and the second "yes" then why not consider a cyclone?  Ken
There's probably a point where you can have too much DC, but I doubt any of us have reached it yet. I'm very much in the camp of bigger is necessary (not just better) to catch the dust. Of course, that goes beyond the DC...you have to have supporting duct work and tool ports that allow the max air flow.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm curious as to what size planet your running that the HFDC hooked directly to it won't keep up.

Fwiw I agree with the other, I'd step up to a cyclone for my next dust collector upgrade. Most (all?) come with. Cartridge filter anyway but chiefly because now that I'm spending more time in the shop I've really grown tired of emptying the bags. It seems it always gets full at the worst times.
-Marc

Well, you won't hurt the motor running it with a choked flow due to small ductwork and hoses.  But the blower almost certainly will  produce more static pressure overall, and will almost certainly move more air through exactly the same ductwork.  So there's those in the upside column.

Motor efficiency will be slightly lower at the same air flow compared to a smaller motor, though not hugely, but that depends on motors being of similar design (like capacitor-run vs not).  But unless you run a commercial operation where this thing is running all day, it's not likely to make much difference.  And also as pointed out, it will be noisier. 

But I don't think you can ever move enough air to keep the fines out of your lungs, so I guess I'm throwing in with the 'no, you can't have too much DC' crowd.
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-08-2016, 12:08 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Well, you won't hurt the motor running it with a choked flow due to small ductwork and hoses.  

Yep, the lower the flow the less the motor works, it has nothing to do but spin the impeller when all the gates are closed for example, it is the reason a vacuum speeds up when you put your hand over the end of the hose.
OP here. Thanks so far. More detail here...
Currently running the HFDC through a Thein separator in one of those big blue plastic barrels (works well), then about ten feet of 4 inch hose that I move from machine to machine. Usually clean the filter with compressed air before use. It has trouble getting everything from both my GI 15 inch planer and the smaller 13 inch Delta benchtop I like to use for the second milling. Does fine with the jointer, decent with the tablesaw, lousy with the bandsaw (but that's the bandsaw's fault). 

Is emptying a cyclone that much easier? Because I agree, emptying bags is no fun. Don't most smaller cyclones have small buckets? They must fill fast.

Does a 1.5 hp cyclone like a Grizz about equal or better the suck of the HFDC? I wouldn't want to have less suck and couldn't afford a bigger unit. Would have to save even for something like the GO703. The Jet double bag on CL is attractive because of the the price.

Thank you!
Do you need more suction or more dust bin capacity?  When you say your HF isn't keeping up with your planer, does that mean it's not collecting all the chips or does that mean it fills up too quickly?  If it's not collecting all the chips, then I'm thinking there's something wrong with the dust collection system on your planer.  I used to have some issues not collecting all the chips from my Delta lunchbox planer until I discovered the dust collection chute wasn't sealed properly.  Some duct tape (literally) fixed the problem, and now I get 99% of the chips collected.  My DC is a Jet.  Overall, I think you'll benefit from the upgrade, but I'd check out the seals around your planer's dust collection chute to see if that helps you out.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Also, 4" flex, especially if it's corrugated inside, presents a LOT of resistance to air flow. A smooth interior, and especially even one inch larger diameter, will greatly increase air flow by greatly decreasing flow resistance. Most sources recommend 6" if at all possible (or two parallel smaller runs, like to blade guard and cabinet on a cabinet saw), smooth interior (always), shortest possible runs (as practicable), and sealing leaks to reduce wasted capacity.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"