Can you have too much DC?
(12-08-2016, 01:14 PM)AHill Wrote: Do you need more suction or more dust bin capacity?  When you say your HF isn't keeping up with your planer, does that mean it's not collecting all the chips or does that mean it fills up too quickly?  If it's not collecting all the chips, then I'm thinking there's something wrong with the dust collection system on your planer.  I used to have some issues not collecting all the chips from my Delta lunchbox planer until I discovered the dust collection chute wasn't sealed properly.  Some duct tape (literally) fixed the problem, and now I get 99% of the chips collected.  My DC is a Jet.  Overall, I think you'll benefit from the upgrade, but I'd check out the seals around your planer's dust collection chute to see if that helps you out.

Allan I think this is more often the problem, than not enough DC. I do my DC directly to the machine. Blech, all that ducting/tubing, whatever. I imagine loss of suction as you have described above, or having that 97' of ductwork with a big wad of stuck chips half way between the furthest tool, and the DC. Some ????? even bury it under a concrete floor, or in a closed wall
No
No not me. I like KISS all the time, but I really like it a lot with DC.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I remember an old cartoon years ago that had an old buzzard running his aircraft carrier, and his collection pipe above was collapsing over his haid.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You might have too much DC if the cat disappears off the work bench.
I have a 2hp jds cyclone. Needed the lower height when I bought it and it was the only one at the time that was that short. Now doesn't matter since I moved,but it has served me well. Little over 40' of 6" with 4" drops at machines. Lathe,table saw and routertable all have 6". The cheapo dewalt lunchbox planer is the only one that can be a problem. Only if running pine and taking a larger cut than I probably should. Hardwood never a problem as the chips are finer and I don't get as agressive. It is the planers design that is limiting and not the collectors fault. narrows down toomuch before reaching the 4". Outlet for the 4" is about 4'from floor. 8" powermatic jointer outlet is about 6" off floor. All of the 6" run overhead and the jointer is farther away than the planer. I can joint a full width pine board with no problems even with the additional length before going horizontal.
(12-16-2016, 07:48 PM)daddo Wrote: You might have too much DC if the cat disappears off the work bench.

This.

Or you get symptoms of Wind Burn after extended shop sessions.

[Image: Windburn+face+-+Constantin+Gabor+after+a...ntains.jpg]