Can you have too much DC?
(12-08-2016, 01:00 PM)Mike67 Wrote: Does a 1.5 hp cyclone like a Grizz about equal or better the suck of the HFDC? I wouldn't want to have less suck and couldn't afford a bigger unit. Would have to save even for something like the GO703. The Jet double bag on CL is attractive because of the the price.

In general a cyclone needs MORE HP to match a non-cyclone DC in flow but that is a generalization and not taking into account your separator.
Thanks again for all the input.
AHill, the issue is with suck, not capacity. With both planers I get a good amount of chips on the infeed table after each board goes through. Its worst on the small planer and when doing a wide board. Capacity isn't much of an issue because I have the big separator that gets most of the chips and dust unless I let it get too full. The clear bag on the collector starting to fill makes a good alarm for that.
I have an older Onieda 2HP cyclone (12 years old) that I have set up with 6" PVC piping and 6" hose to the machines. I use a plastic bag inside the 55 gal drum on the cyclone to help ease chip disposal.   I have a 15" Jet planer that has a 6 to 4" adapter right on the dust collection hood.   At the end of a day of planing, I may have several 55 gal bags of chips, but there will be far less than a handful of chips in the floor by the planer.  I spill more changing the bag on the cyclone and cleaning the filter that gets left behind at the planer.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Thanks all for the good info. May be for nothing - I emailed the CL poster and haven't heard back. The DC is probably sold already (wish people would take down posts when items sell). This is good info for the future though - thanks.
If you check on Ebay you will find one that goes outside and has 60,000 cfm.  Just saying.
Winkgrin
If close enough it will suck a wart from a witches nose.

Last if you want a good DC with smaller foot print then get the Clearvue for $1900
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well if the suction collapses your metal piping, then yes. Too much DC.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-11-2016, 01:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you check on Ebay you will find one that goes outside and has 60,000 cfm.  Just saying.
Winkgrin

(12-11-2016, 01:18 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Well if the suction collapses your metal piping, then yes. Too much DC.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

Or if it sucks in the walls of your shop........
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
A client in NY bought a 20hp collector. It had a 14" diameter inlet pipe!

I drew out the proper pipe plan for his installer to build for him. We allowed for future capacity. I specified leaving an 8" opening at the end for airflow. 

The installer understood my instructions, but decided I was wrong about the airflow. He sealed the end. Turned on the DC and collapsed the main trunk line almost instantly. 

So you CAN have too much DC, but you are nowhere near that.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Handi, that must have made a bang! Thanks for the input. Turns out my emails to the seller were going to spam so he wasn't seeing them. Trying to make arrangements to go get this thing. Fingers crossed.
I have the Jet 3Hp 2 bag model. I added a cyclone in front of it from Oneida Air. I also added Oneida Air oversize bags to it. It takes up a ~6' by 6' foot print in total. It works great. I have 8" pipe running ~20 feet across one wall, 7-6" pipe running another 25 feet, and finally a 18' section of 6-5 inch pipe. I have 23 drops/blastgates of various sizes from 6" all the way down to 4".