motor question
I have a 20" disc sander that crapped out yesterday. The original motor was 3 phase and died years ago. I removed the windings and put a pulley on the butt end, leaving the shell with shaft turning the disc. I mounted a 2hp single phase motor with pulley now making it a belt driven tool. I have 2 switches. A 220v rated on/off leading to a reversing switch, then leading to the motor. Yesterday I was knocking off the corners of a 6" thick, 22" round wet bowl blank before mounting on the lathe. This was the first time I have ever noticed this tool straining a little, actually slowed it down a couple times. Normally will handle anything I throw at it. I don't usually use this on wet wood but only had a few spots so went at it. The paper got a little gummed up so decided to hit reverse and finish. Turned off the on/off and used the brake to stop the machine. Flipped the reversing switch to reverse rotation. Turned on, started to turn and then flipped the breaker at the panel box. Completely dead. Checked the on/off switch and reversing switch. Both good. Press the reset on the motor and it has power coming out. Here is my question, I have 110 going to the motor starter and 110 coming out. Is that normal on a 220v motor? What else should I check?
(12-08-2016, 11:47 AM)pinky Wrote: Here is my question, I have 110 going to the motor starter and 110 coming out. Is that normal on a 220v motor? What else should I check?

If you're measuring between either hot and ground, then yes, 120V is normal.  Hot-to-hot would read 240V.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
One lead goes straight into the motor and one lead goes to the starter and I'm assuming the other would be out going to the motor.
But what are you touching with the probes to measure voltage?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
On the starter, I touch one wire in and the motor body,110v, same reading on the other wire coming out and motor body. When I put both leads from my tester on both wires from the starter I get no reading.
That's all normal, but what about the lead that bypasses the motor control?
Tom

That lead has 110v also which I'm guessing means I burnt out the motor.
(12-08-2016, 02:11 PM)pinky Wrote: That lead has 110v also which I'm guessing means I burnt out the motor.

Sounds like it. 

Does the motor hum when it's trying to start?

Will it start with the belt removed?

Does the sander spin freely?
Tom

No hum, no nothing.
Sander spins freely.
Haven't removed the belt but the disc spins by hand which turns the motor impeller so I'm thinking it's time to look for a motor.
Manual reset overload device on the motor (Klixon - little red button), if it exists, is reset?

As a last effort, you could undo the power lines to the motor leads and test the DC resistance of the motor. Should be a couple of ohms, more or less, depending on the motor. But if an open circuit, it's toast.
Tom