Bathroom exhaust fan
Hi Everyone. I have a question about a bathroom exhaust fan. The fan is one of the builder grade cheap fans that was original to the house (30 years old) and when it was connected to a normal wall switch was very noisy. I replaced the switch with one of the timer switches that' has five timer settings from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. When I turned on the fan it is now very quiet and doesn't seam to be running at full speed. I'm not sure why this is the case. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
War Eagle!
Dont know, the switch with the timer is not a rheostat, I would change the fan and clean the duct work. If a Broan you may do it internally and not have to change out the housing. Just the fan/motor guts in the same box.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Sounds like you have a light timer switch. You need one that can handle the fan load.
(12-08-2016, 11:12 PM)Woodjets Wrote: Sounds like you have a light timer switch.  You need one that can handle the fan load.

Without looking at the specs on the timer switch, and a usual contractors fan, is about the same load or less then as a 100 watt incandescent bulb. Most timer switches are set up for fans for bathroom use. But who knows  what he bought.
 I hate these threads, with a lack of info but "help me", they want us to be Anne Sullivan's all over again.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(12-08-2016, 11:12 PM)Woodjets Wrote: Sounds like you have a light timer switch.  You need one that can handle the fan load.

Why would want to put a light on a delaid off timer switch in a bath room?? Or for that matter any place you are exiting in a house other then maybe the basement to make it up the stairs? Same type of electrical load so the timer would not make a difference.
Smirk

Those old fans had just an Oil light bushing/bearing, when they go the sequels is in spurts. but it is toast.
Smirk

(12-09-2016, 12:05 AM)MikeBob Wrote: Why would want to put a light on a delaid off timer switch in a bath room?? Or for that matter any place you are exiting in a house other then maybe the basement to make it up the stairs? Same type of electrical load so the timer would not make a difference.

Because many don't know how to turn off the switch when the leave the room. Hence why the daughters bedroom got one... 

For the fan those cheapie are junk. The motors don't last long but there is a retrofit kit that has a new motor and fan blade that moves more air than the old one and is an easy fix for most of the standard cheap square fans. 

The best deal on a new one is the one that costco has. It's a very good unit for the price.
Thanks everyone. The switch is a Leviton 500-Watt 60-Minute In-Wall Digital Timer that I bought from HD.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-500-Wat.../202051145
War Eagle!
Wrong switch, that will not work correctly with a motor.

Try this one: 
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-LTB02-1LZ...=ltb60-1lz
Why is it the wrong switch. I used it on two other bath exhaust fans with no issues.
War Eagle!