Sjoberg portable smart vice?
I would like to have a portable work surface with a vice for small odd jobs and carving. Sjoberg makes  a 14"x14" work table that can be clamped to a table or workbench. It has a vice that opens to 4 1/2". I'm sorry but I can't post pictures. The smart vice is available at Rockler, Woodcraft, and Amazon. It sells for @ $145.00. I know money can be saved if I make my own, but I don't want to make my own. I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this "smart vice" and what they like or dislike about it. Thanks.
Here is a link to the Rockler product.
Smart vise

It looks pretty good to me. If you have small projects, you would probably find it helpful.

I have used a plane on really thin stock and on really small stock. But I have a nice workbench. This vise turns any table or shopmate into a ww bench. Sure is spendy. Maybe you should put it on your Christmas list.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Let us know if you get one.   I've dabbled with the idea but haven't done it yet!

Chris
Chris
I think I'll take a trip to my local Rockler to see what it looks like. I think the vice that it has is the same vice that comes with Sjoberg free standing workbenches. If the vice is substantial it might justify the high cost.
Looking at Rockler's site there seem to be two models of it: a regular and a Pro model. The regular is $145 and the Pro is $229. The regular is MDF with a melamine coating and the Pro is beech.
I bought the melamine version for $129.00 with discount. Because of Christmas activities it is still in the box. I plan on trying it out next week.
I found this thing. I call it the bench MiniMe.

[Image: DSCN1818.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1819.jpg]

It has clamps and slots on the bottom.

[Image: DSCN1822.jpg]

I clamped it to a 2x6 and put it to work.

[Image: DSCN1826.jpg]

Now I need to make a few dogs for it.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(01-21-2017, 02:04 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I found this thing. I call it the bench MiniMe.

[Image: DSCN1818.jpg]

Jim--I like it. Where did you find it?
I found this on that famous on line auction site. The seller called it a "Small woodworking bench top with vises" and said in the description that it looked like a kids toy. I doubt it was for kids. The woodworking is top notch and the attachment method is ingenious. The vises, however, are just so so. The end vise works ok but it is light duty and a little sticky. If I use this thing a lot I might need to upgrade that hardware. It is a threaded rod with a captured nut and would be easy to replace with something better.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim--thanks. Wish he had another.