"Fire in the Hole"
Beautiful - workmanship and wood!  The cottonwood burl is spectacular, and I always love anything of Osage orange.  Enjoy the bright orange color while it lasts.  When it settles into the nice, more mellow color of your mallet, the whole thing will look harmonious, like you designed it that way, which, in fact, you did.  Great job!

Speaking of cottonwoods, I’ve been watching some big ones along Lake Minnetonka, full of eagles this morning after the temp dropped to about 5F last night.  I stopped counting when I got to a couple dozen eagles.  As the smaller lakes freeze, they gather near remaining open water on the bigger lakes before heading “south” (to the Mississippi River at Wabasha, MN) for the duration of winter.  Always a pleasure to witness the gathering.  No Osage orange around here, though.
Stunning! Design and the woods complement each other.
(12-10-2016, 12:56 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: @Ron: Your cottonwood tree likely has this figure in a crotch or maybe even in a root flare. But nice big trees look best standing up.

I dunno, when I lived in a neighborhood with a lot of cottonwood trees, I felt like the ones that fell down were my favorite. The snow melts and then soon thereafter the cottonwoods start to make it snow again.

Really nice piece
Well Paul, some of those eagles make it down to us at some point, but nothing like dozens have I ever witnessed. It is nice to slow down and watch something like that, which is also the point of using highly figured wood IMO.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Very nice Tom
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Okay, I replaced one hinge and this thing is now getting its final coats of finish. Let me back up a tiny bit and show you how this thing evolved. I glued on four blocks for the feet and found them a tad clunky. When in doubt, just remove what is not needed so I grabbed a block plane to give them some shape:

[Image: fire%20feet_zpss5zxmaan.jpg]

Still clunky, so I grabbed a #7 gouge to give each side of the foot a more concave shape and some texture.

[Image: fire%20feet%20carved_zpsjhw21xlx.jpg]

The hinge will get the same treatment after I replace the one whose pin was not in line.

[Image: remove%20hinge_zpsklbgukkr.jpg]

So now the hinges and feet match each other. I'll let you decide if they match the rest of the box.

[Image: fire%20under_zpstxyjlm3p.jpg]

Fire in the Hole

[Image: fire6_zpsifq1ghut.jpg]
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Very nice. The look is much improved on the feet and hinges (my opine).
Thanks for sharing that with us.
Very different, but awesome
Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020