Witherby hand saw
I found this old handsaw in storage that I had forgotten about and I can't find any information on it (google).
 I want to have the teeth set and sharpened and repair the crack in the handle, but I want to make sure if it is worth it- or just hang it for a keepsake.

It is a Witherby (Superior- spring steel) made in Western Germany. It was my late dads.

Google shows Witherby to be an old 1800's American tool company, however this saw was made in Germany and doesn't look anywhere near that old.

Anyone here know anything about this saw or the company?

[Image: witherby%20hand%20saw%20001_zpsrbwmpg7s.jpg]
Witherby was mid 19th century, most of the Witherby-marked chisels I've seen were Winsted (actually, Winsted Edge Tool Works) which made edge tools and such, I've never seen anything about them making saws, must have been a licensing deal??  Here's a link to their 1950 catalog:

http://toolemera.com/catpdf/witherbyCat1950Secure.pdf
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-11-2016, 09:36 AM)Admiral Wrote: Witherby was mid 19th century, most of the Witherby-marked chisels I've seen were Winsted (actually, Winsted Edge Tool Works) which made edge tools and such, I've never seen anything about them making saws, must have been a licensing deal??  Here's a link to their 1950 catalog:

http://toolemera.com/catpdf/witherbyCat1950Secure.pdf

Thanks.

All my searching has come up empty- none, even on antique sites. I guess no one has any idea where it came from.

It's one of those tools that doesn't exist.  
Smirk
If it was your Dad's. keep it, restore it, use it!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard