Stanley ORIGINAL chisel handles
SO, after completing that last commission, I now have all these vintage Stanley 720 and 750 handles left over. The previous owner let me keep them as part of our deal for making those custom handles.

Now I have to choose...

Do I sell this lot, or keep them and accrue the chisel irons for them to get them restored?

I've seen these handles sell anywhere from $10-$40 each depending on condition, but of course, I do enjoy restoring tools, so...

I'm perplexed.

Suggestions?

[Image: 20161211_143243_zpscatjhymk.jpg]
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Keep them, and mate them to the appropriate chisel as you acquire them.
you are unlikely to acquire that many chisels with no handles, but likely will some. if I were in your circumstance, I would keep a set or two and sell the rest.  There is a market for them, but your estimate may be a bit high.  I have 3 sets of 750s, and have kept a handful of extra handles. On the other hand you could made puppets out of them for xmas show for grandkids.   
Ray
Keep 'em.  You can always sell them later.  These things are not being made anymore and are a limited resource for those so inclined, and will not drop in value.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-11-2016, 06:18 PM)Admiral Wrote: Keep 'em.  You can always sell them later.  These things are not being made anymore and are a limited resource for those so inclined, and will not drop in value.

+1
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Ray, I just need to mull it all over a bit. Not sure if I want to try collecting more full sets of these. I have 2 full sets of each already. As for the estimate of value, that wasn't my estimate, that's actual prices they've sold for across many sites in the past year. I don't expect to get the high end of that IF I decide to sell. I've sold thousands of vintage tools, and don't ask what I see others priced at. I mostly sell local. Not always, but usually.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
funny, I always end up with these kind of conundrums, and it usually ends up with me hoarding something I never do anything with.  

Your work with the chisels was so nice that for some reason I thought they were the ones currently being sold, but looking at the handles, that doesn't seem to be the case.
You are correct, Eric. The chisel irons that were part of the sets I made custom handles for were old, vintage irons. Not the current Sweetheart versions.

Many folks still use the vintage ones. They are good, solid users. I have a few sets myself, including two mint full sets of 750's and 720's that I restored. My regular users are a set of the Lee Valley Veritas PM-V11 chisels, which are the best on the market currently, in my opinion. I also have Japanese white and blue steel chisels, German chisels, and what I consider to be the best vintage chisels ever made, EA Berg Eskilstuna's. The Bergs were made using the top technology and processes of their time.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Think you are high on your estimates for the handles.....The 750s are great chisels
Jerry
Gregory just what about Bergs impressed you so much. BTW I have Bergs as well.
A man of foolish pursuits