basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand?
Sent I don't have a shop, I am looking at doing woodworking with hand tools only. What would be a basic kit to get started?
Start with Chris Schwarz' "The Anarchists's Toolchest" (I think that is the title.) He takes you through building a rather nice toolchest and totally explains his reasoning for each tool in it and, to some extent, why some tools are not it in it. I suspect it is the best minimalist list going.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
It's a fun read as well.
A man of foolish pursuits
Also consider reading Vic Tesolin's Minimalist Woodworker. It's a book for working wood in tiny spaces or shared use spaces like condo living rooms.
And remember that either or both of these books may be available in your friendly local public library; or, if not, your library may be part of the World Cat interlibrary loan system (or some other interlibrary loan system).  I will be picking up "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" at my library tomorrow, loaned by some other generous library; and my system has "The Minimalist Woodworker, " which I've just put on request.

I am way far over on the range toward sinking out of sight in soft soil, as far as tools go; but I've been feeling the need to thin the herd, so these books will serve as a reminder of how much can be done with how little.
Here is a kit:

8 point hand saw, filed rip
13 point back saw, 12 inch, filed rip
saw file
1/4, 1/2 , 1" chisels preferably all different brands
5/16 mortise chisel
hand drill with bits
5/16 auger bit
#4 smoothing plane, bevel down (double iron)
moving fillister (rabbet plane with fence)
plough plane
try square 6"
mallet
marking gauge
medium India/ soft Arkansas combination stone.
Search Chris Schwarz' Lost Art Press blog, "Anarchist's Toolchest" and he gives a listing of and update of the tools in 3 blog posts.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
+ 1 (or whatever we're up to) on the Anarchist's Tool Chest. While I would quibble with one or two choices, I think he makes a strong case (literally and metaphorically) for an essential set of hand tools.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Depends a lot on what you want to make. If you want to make people sized furniture, the kit is almost never-ending. If you want to make small boxes or cutting boards, it's much much smaller.
England has been poor since the 1918 so their hobbyists have had to make do with a lot less tools than their rich American cousins. Paul Sellers' book "Essential   Woodworking Hand Tools" gives a very complete instruction on their care and use as well as which ones. He learned how to teach in Texas.
A man of foolish pursuits