New ICS Sawstop a little rant
Well guys, after almost 45 yrs using a table saw with no injuries I decided I was pushing my luck. Especially if I want to keep working, I'm 64. I decided to invest in a Sawstop. I wouldn't settle for less saw than I had, a PM66 with 5 hp motor. So I had to get the ICS to get a 5 hp. With a few extras, cartridge, dado insert and Delivery it set me back $5000.00. 18 yrs ago I bought my Powermatic for $2200.

OK, here's the rant. After using the saw for less than 8 hours the top is all scratched up. It seems like I can't throw a piece of wood on it to rip or crosscut without discovering a new scratch. And yes, you can feel them. Oh yeah, I haven't even gotten to my Exotics yet. Just cutting walnut.

My PM after 18 yrs still had the grinding marks in the main top. And yes, it did have scratches, but it took 18 yrs of using it to make a living.

So, has anyone else noticed this? Am I just being super picky?
Furniture...The Art of a Furnituremaker

Earl Kelly
I went from a UNISAW to the 3 HP PCS (I think that's the model). The cast iron top on the SS has a very high polish, way beyond what
the UNISAW had. Could it be that due to the high polish, the scratches are simply more noticable on the SS (i.e. the scratches were there
on the old machine, but due to the coarser finish, they didn't jump out at you)?
It is chinese cast iron. 

what you expected was foundry cast iron from the USA? 

get used to it or go back that is about all there is
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The first scratch hurts the most after that it gets easier
Upset.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Apparently the SS china castings are not stacked outside to settle in for a year, before they surface finish them.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Did you clean off the packing oil/grease?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(12-13-2016, 05:49 PM)JGrout Wrote: It is chinese cast iron. 

what you expected was foundry cast iron from the USA? 

get used to it or go back that is about all there is

My PM2000 was made in Taiwan.  No issues at all with scratches.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-13-2016, 06:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Apparently the SS china castings are not stacked outside to settle in for a year, before they surface finish them.

You are referring to room temperature aging, being outside is only a product of the great outdoors being a cheap warehouse.  Castings made from gray cast iron will reach its maximum tensile strength between a week and a month of room temp aging beyond that tensile strength doesn't increase by any significant amount.  Today cast iron that is set to be room temp aged is alloyed with elements like manganese and sulfur to reduce the aging period by up to 50%.  With proper alloying there is no advantage to aging gray cast iron more than a couple of weeks.  

I am not saying Chinese iron isn't softer than old US iron, it likely is based on the machines in my shop, however I have yet to wear Chinese iron enough to impact the use of the machine. I actually like the well worn, but still flat, tables on my American iron as I have always noticed the older and more worn in the table the less likely it is for rust to form.
Silly question, but have you asked SawStop about this?

I spend each fall traveling the country demonstrating MicroJig products. I typically use a SawStop during these demos. I have used any number of SS cabinet saws and contractor saws.

I have not noticed scratches on the surface of any of these saws, even though many were the demo units used in the stores, so they had seen some wear.

I have no idea what might cause Cast Iron to have a softer than expected surface, but for $5k, I would be asking the manufacturers for answers.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I can't help you but earlkelly.com hSS some beautiful work. you should be proud.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11