Drywall Mud go boom?
A dood I work with is planning on doing some drywall work at a newly obtained hunting lease house. He doesn't have a heat system permanently installed; but he says he plans on using a torpedo or salamander heater.

Drywall sanding produces vast amounts of dust. Most dusts are flammable and explosive at the right PPM. He is running an open flame heater. I can't find any volatility numbers on mud dust on the innerweb, but I assume he needs to be warned about how not to blow himself up in the middle of the woods.

Just wondering if anyone has more direct knowledge that can confirm or correct my concerns.

Maybe he just needs to wrap the fuel tank with a ground wire. 
Smirk
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Well the ingredients are water limestone and some sort of polymer. Not really anything flammable in there.
The MSDS for joint compound says, as you might expect, that it is non-flammable. It is not a risk, unless you consider the dust putting out the fire a risk.
Those types of heaters are used all the time in homes under construction in cold climates.    Never heard of any issues.    Can you imagine what a new furnace would look like trying to filter out all the drywall dust ?    Roly
I try to avoid producing much dust.  Crazy, I know
I worked in construction and I seen those heaters used all the time by tapers and painters. Jobs have to get done and can not wait for the heat to come on before they do interior work. I will say, if you watch professional tapers work, there is hardly any dust when they get done finishing a wall. Those guys make it look so easy.
John T.
(12-15-2016, 10:30 PM)EricU Wrote: I try to avoid producing much dust.  Crazy, I know

+1
(12-16-2016, 12:57 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I worked in construction and I seen those heaters used all the time by tapers and painters. Jobs have to get done and can not wait for the heat to come on before they do interior work. I will say, if you watch professional tapers work, there is hardly any dust when they get done finishing a wall. Those guys make it look so easy.

Yeah they do make it look very easy. I have learned a little from the commercial guys and the biggest thing I learned was getting the consistency right. I wsalsas making my mud too thick. But still I just dont have that technique and don't want to get that good....
(12-16-2016, 11:03 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Yeah they do make it look very easy. I have learned a little from the commercial guys and the biggest thing I learned was getting the consistency right. I wsalsas making my mud too thick. But still I just dont have that technique and don't want to get that good....

I had a guy teach me a thing or two about applying it and it was very helpful. I can confidently do it now but nowhere at the speed they do it. The biggest thing I learned was put it on and take it off and walk away. Do not play around with it trying to get it perfect the first time. Also tilting of the blade is important.
John T.
The other thing a taper taught me was it is easier to add more coats than to sand a bunch off.   Once you get the hang of it use the setting type mud.   It allows several coats a day.   Roly