A Flag Case for my Dad
John, That is a wonderful keepsake for your family. 

My dad was also a WWll vet who went into Normandy on D+7 with the 461st Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion. I have few memories of him as he was fatally injured in an auto accident 60 years ago this past week when I was 8. My most treasured possessions are his Army memorabilia including a book that details the history of the 461st from training thru deployment to their return to the states. LOML and I are planning a trip to Europe to visit Normandy and some of the towns he passed thru as they fought their way across the continent.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
John, it is a beautiful case and even more considering the relationship of your father to the cherry board you used.  Your story is a great tribute to your father, a man I would have so enjoyed meeting and talking to.  My oldest brother died a couple years ago at 86.  He had served in the Korean war and he had military honors at his funeral.  His oldest son has the flag, I think, and I should check if he needs a case for it.  He was active in his local American Legion unit, especially with their charities.   He was on the funeral honor guard team until a few years before he died.  My next oldest brother who is now 85 is in great physical shape still participates in the honor guard and is the one who helps fold the flag for presentation to the family. 

In addition to the usually evening viewings, there was one for a couple hours immediately before the funeral.  Towards the end, his American Legion brothers in arms, one by one, approached the casket for a few moments of reflection and then gave a last salute.  It still brings tears to my eyes to remember it.  Thanks for sharing.  Ken
I've read the intital post a couple of times now and am really liking the flag case and the background of the case, my father served as an Airborne Pathfinder throughout the entire Korean War and I hope that when the day comes I can do just as well on a flag display case. Once again , well done on the case.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
Very nice. Sorry for your loss, but that was a great use for the seasoned cherry board.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
John when my Dad passed I, my BIL who was a second Son to him, and my Cousin made 3 boxes for our Dads. All were WWII vets. I loved sharing with them both, and we made boxes similar to yours, 1/2 for flag, 1/2 for decorations, mementos, and metals. I talk to the darn thing all the time. to me it seems more natural than standing in the cemetery his casket lies in. My Dad was the best Man I ever knew, and I miss him every day. I imagine most guys think that about their Dad as well

During WWII Dad spent most of the war training guys in the 101st Airborne to jump at Fort Benning Ga. That and hand to hand combat. He knew a lot of guys from New York, and the Upper East coast, would be a, it's a small world thing if he trained your Dad.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(12-19-2016, 12:52 AM)Steve N Wrote: John when my Dad passed I, my BIL who was a second Son to him, and my Cousin made 3 boxes for our Dads. All were WWII vets. I loved sharing with them both, and we made boxes similar to yours, 1/2 for flag, 1/2 for decorations, mementos, and metals. I talk to the darn thing all the time. to me it seems more natural than standing in the cemetery his casket lies in. My Dad was the best Man I ever knew, and I miss him every day. I imagine most guys think that about their Dad as well

During WWII Dad spent most of the war training guys in the 101st Airborne to jump at Fort Benning Ga. That and hand to hand combat. He knew a lot of guys from New York, and the Upper East coast, would be a, it's a small world thing if he trained your Dad.

First, thanks for all the comments and great stories of your Dad.  Brokaw really had it right when he called them America's Greatest Generation.  They saved the world and asked for nothing in return.  As an aside, one of my brother's good friends flew Brokaw around much of the country as he was collecting stories for his book.  And he wrote a book about his flying life, and Brokaw wrote the forward to it.  Link

Steve, maybe your Dad did train mine.  I can never remember which airborne group my Dad was in, but I'm pretty sure he went to jump school at Fort Benning.  I'll have to ask my Mom and dig out his airborne patches and photos.  Wouldn't that be something. 

John
John, nice case, perfect board choice, and a special tribute.

I too was blessed to have a WWII dad.  As some one else said, "he was the best man I ever knew".  Daddy died at 91 in 2003.  He joined the Navy CBs and spent much of his time on a bull dozer preparing landing strips.

His flag is in a basic flag case waiting for some kind of display case worthy of the man.  I need to get off my duff.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Hi John

I'm not the best historian, but if he went to Europe he was probably 101st airborne. If he has any metals you can look for the following.

[Image: s-l1000.jpg]

[Image: WWII-US-font-b-ARMY-b-font-font-b-AIRBOR...R-font.jpg]

They were the screaming Eagles.

[Image: cbcef3831ac553e4e92ef1e012d1e642.jpg]

They were usually in the chit, as they say. This Wiki is about the 101st If he has other patches you may see matches below on this link, and down under the heading of "In popular culture" they show the movies where the 101st either was in, or had the majority of it's fighters engaged at that location. Most notably the series, "Band of Brothers" and those fellas were jumpin from one fire to the next.

Dad also had one with his items he brought home that looked like this. It says 11th Army. I'm not sure if the 101st was in the 11th. or what. I had always thought it to be 101 with a big 0, and smaller 1's, but have read since Dad passed it is the 11th Army. Possibly someone reading this would know more, or if there were other parachute divisions in the Army during WWII.

[Image: 11th_Airborne_Division.gif]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Wonderful project and dedication.
Steve, I think my Dad was in the 11th Army Airborne because they served in the Pacific and that's where he served at the very end of the war, and was then part of the occupying force in Japan.   I'll know for sure when I find his Airborne patches; I know exactly where they are because I found them and his dog tags when looking through some of his stuff this past Spring.  

John