Shelf standards
I have a lot of shelves in the garage.  Took things down to rearrange and repaint, and those shelf standards pretty well destroyed the paint all around them when they came off.  Utility hooks (the big 'J' hooks) do the same thing.  Anything that touches the paint sticks to it.   I expect the builder used cheap paint, and sprayed one crappy coat of semi-gloss over the very heavy knock down texture.  I've been hanging stuff with these forever, but usually used flat paint... and I never had this issue before.  Difficult to repair that heavy texture... and compounded by the noticeable difference in the quality of 'finish' work they put into the garage walls as opposed to the house.  It IS a garage... but still.  I've already decided that should we  move one day, somebody's gonna get a garage full of shelving and cabinets.  
Angry
I've always had that happen, even with the "good" quality paints. On larger spots it's normal (in my experience) to have the paint pull the paper right off the sheet rock. In my last shop, that's exactly what happened in places like where the frame for the DC was bolted to the wall....fairly steep damage. I had explained this in my "disclosures" when the place was listed, and got no complaints form the buyer. I just consider it one of the problems with latex paint.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Same issue here. With good or bad paint it causes problems like that. 

I really hate the texture that they put on walls here in tx. The knockdown they use now isn't bad but the 80s heavy texture is awful. Ours is a 1960 and it's not as heavy but still a royal pain. 
         Our next house will have smooth walls as I hate texture as its impossible to repair without redoing the whole room and a pain to paint.
Texture isn't that bad to match. The aerosol cans at home depot do a pretty good job. Not like popcorn on the ceiling, that can't be matched.

Regarding the paint. Use an enamel paint. It should be less sticky.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(12-21-2016, 02:28 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Texture isn't that bad to match.  The aerosol cans at home depot do a pretty good job.  Not like popcorn on the ceiling, that can't be matched.  

Regarding the paint.   Use an enamel paint.  It should be less sticky.

This is very heavy texture, and the problem is knocking it down in the repair area without just making it look like a giant patch because the knife is riding on the existing texture.   You'd probavbly have to look to see the repair, but once you found it it's pretty obvious.
Sarcasm
Use a latex ceramic paint if you want to reduce the stickiness. 
Also, stay away from cheap paints; the fewer the coats needed, the less likely you'll experience the problem you've come across. The higher end Benjamin Moores and Sherwin Williams perform well. They are pricey so ask for a discount.
we have texture in the basement stairwell for some reason. I was thinking it was the only place, but they also did it in the closets.  I have been thinking of skim coating the stairwell.

I don't know if it would help this situation any, but I have become a big fan of primer.  It really sticks.  I'm not trying to make a living at painting, so going over  it one more time is no big deal.
One of the first things I noticed when moving to the east coast is that you almost never see textured drywall here. Some of the older homes had popcorn or textured ceilings but almost never on walls. It's definitely a western thing, along with stucco.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

When removing trim, etc scoring all around with a utility knife prevents tearing the paint.
texture is a lot faster/cheaper than plastering the walls.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark