Charles Hayward books by Lost Art Press
Has anyone ordered these recently published collections of articles from Woodworker magazine? How are they? I have too many books and and have to be wary of getting any more. But I would be interested in hearing from anyone whose had a chance to look at these.
I have them and I like them.  But then I'm old enough that I was raised on b&w line drawings and am able to glean information from them, which I find younger persons have difficulty doing.  There is some repetition as the books are a collection of articles sometimes by different authors.  They certainly contain all the information that a person would have gotten in wood shop class in the 40s and 50s.  I don't use them as an in-the-shop manual but I do like spending an evening frequently perusing the content.  This reminds me that I haven't done that for a while so I'm adding it to my plans for this evening.

Frank S in IA
First of all, there is no such thing as too many books. Second, get the books and if you need to, get rid of other lesser volumes to make room for these.

Merry Christmas,
John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
I find these line drawings to be better than photos because they show exactly what is meant without extra random distracting detail. This is true of these particular excellent drawings, not of all drawings. The articles stand on their own, as is to be expected of reprinted magazine articles. While there is a fair amount of repetition among them, I think of that as a reiteration of basics during the presentation of new detailed material. If you want to do handtool woodworking, these books make a collective very entertaining read, make you think about options in carrying out work, and are likely to suggest several things that will make your work more enjoyable and effective.

Can you live without these? I suppose it's possible, but why?
I'm old enough to remember and appreciate quality magazine articles. There're lots of evenings reading. I'm looking forward to volume III, Joinery.
A man of foolish pursuits
(12-19-2016, 12:07 PM)Alan S Wrote: Can you live without these?  I suppose it's possible, but why?

To spend the money on wood?
(12-19-2016, 12:46 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: To spend the money on wood?

I don't know, while I can say that I've learned most, if not all, of my ww technique from books or online resources, it is also clear to me that there is no magic bullet book that is the be all and end all of information.  Lots of resources on Google Books are out there for free, and lets face it, joints are joints, wood movement happens so plan for it, and once you've made a couple of dozen pieces, plans become more inspiration for developing your own version of what you are building.  I've not built anything from a plan in a decade or more.  Technique is nuance, once you have become comfortable with the basics.  I'm sure there would be tidbits of processes in this set, but not enough to motivate me at this point.  Perhaps when a used set comes up for sale I'd bite.  Just being honest, I'm sure its a very nice set of books.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-19-2016, 02:34 PM)Admiral Wrote:  Technique is nuance, once you have become comfortable with the basics.  I'm sure there would be tidbits of processes in this set, but not enough to motivate me at this point.  Perhaps when a used set comes up for sale I'd bite.  Just being honest, I'm sure its a very nice set of books.

+1.

If you think you already have too many books, spend the money on wood or other tools you think you need.

I have read the first set of two and do not plan to own it as it offers more or the less the information I can find from other books including some by Charles Hayward. For the same reason, I am not buying the latest volume that has just come out nor the final volume to be released. If you have none of Charles Hayward books or not enough books, you may consider them, though.

Simon
I have them and feel they are definitely worth the price!  LAP makes quality books...I mean the paper, binding and cover are not chinchy and the content has been such a treasure for me.  I'm torn between taking them into my shop...where they will get dusty & dirty but used a lot more...or...keeping them by my reading chair where I can relax & peruse at length.   I, too, love the drawings.  Hayward was a gifted communicator and I think this compilation of his work is remarkable.  I applaud LAP for this achievement.  As for too many books.....if you really want to limit your reading then know that the Volume 1 is an extensive analysis of the tools used for woodworking, methods of sharpening them and elaborate uses for them.  If you have ANY tools, this book will help you appreciate them more fully.  Volume 2 continues to present tools & there use (and jigs that enhance their function) but delves more into certain project processes such as door making, window making, frame work and common moldings. Volume 3 is the smallest and it is mostly about joinery but the descriptions of how to make joints is extremely elaborate.  From work holding to reading grain and applying joinery to utilize wood strength in function...the thoroughness is extroadinary.  
I can appreciate both Simon's and Bill's point.  All the content of these books can be found elsewhere....but it would involve many searches. These books have Table of Contents containing just about anything one might want to know about woodworking, making it easy to get what you want quickly.  I've had Tage Frid's 2 tomes for a decade...they probably have as much information in them as do these books but they're not nearly as enjoyable to read.....and that is the crux of the matter.  If you like to read about something you love....these books are worth the $.  
Don
Back when I was in school and was about to graduate, I had several hundred print pages left on my account, so I downloaded a couple of Hayward's books (in some weird text format, and the illustrations were in odd places) and printed them out. I enjoyed reading them then, but I'd very much like to replace them with the real things.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop