Interior Divided Light Doors Build Along - Part 11
Here's a link to Part 10.     

Time to build the jambs and mount the doors into it.  I showed you how I made the arch jamb way back when.  I made the side jambs from solid stock, 7/8" thick.  Had I read Joe's guidelines a little better I would have built the jamb in a slightly more logical manner, but I didn't so what you see below is my version. 

I installed the arch jamb template to the arch jamb using pocket screws where the door stop will be. 

[Image: Qy5hyz7cBzwYUEHz0zyFBx33IEjsrCrNAhCdQ-q5...38-h628-no]

To attach the arch jamb to the side jambs you make a vertical and horizontal cut on the ends of the jambs.  I'm not sure how it would be done as easily as with a RAS.  Fortunately, I have one.  Those two cuts will fit into a rabbet cut on the end of the side jambs.  I wanted the horizontal leg of that rabbet to be 1/2" so I put a 1/2" piece of stock against the side of the template and marked the arch jamb.  Next I screwed a right angle bracket to the template and put it on my RAS bench. 

[Image: PvFo6xLagQgwPaN9xlfLeNgHveKbphQz0ocIkhRo...38-h628-no]

I crept up on that cut, then die the other end.  Next I turned the carriage horizontally, and cut the horizontal leg.  That cut fell where the inside of the arch met the end of the template. 

[Image: Gk25UPxjhlJBPv1Il_k7YqlRTGppwIdS-IbPewyi...38-h628-no]

When done, the end of the arch looks like this:

[Image: 2Vn_CSuqgzbD6KfjvxT5duVtT85dEs2S63xQ6PQx...38-h628-no]

Next I laid out the hinge locations on the outer door stiles and used the same template I made for the rectangular door to cut them. 

[Image: jaKO9yN9NCHEs0Nk_u7Tn-Yda5k2t3qnvOEED2u5...38-h628-no]

I transferred the hinge locations to the side jambs and cut those hinge pockets by reconfiguring the template slightly.

[Image: ZLkqYCIaRseVzeH-GxtjB2d6ajATg5bZre-bWJrE...38-h628-no]

Next I installed the hinges with just 2 screws in each leaf.

[Image: Fd-n9MjCQ3GKNb7oN-9VKLVOKZiKaiQLmoTCXCq2...38-h628-no]

OK , moment of truth.  I put the doors on my bench with a 3/32" spacer between them and laid the arch jamb and template on top of them, with 3/32" spacers between the top of the doors and the arch jamb.

[Image: d7Dt622zYVJEAFBX2yiVNrXae1Fk5MV95VQT5K7M...38-h628-no]

OK, how did I do?  Pretty darned good.

[Image: iVX8z-qrWP_TSIwEt8UaMVpRKk1r9-4GJDsq8X9t...38-h628-no]

The arch jamb and side jambs are held together in the usual manner with screws, in this case 3/4" ones.  

[Image: KDBGnImJiseUETqpqrkjk_XPWORzKlkVh6mBOCdV...38-h628-no]

I'm getting there.  Thanks for staying the course with me on this.

John
For someone doing this for the first time, I would say you're doing a darn fine job. Better than I for sure...
Well, Bye...
Things are going extremely well, that's for sure. Loving it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
John,
I have enjoyed following along with you on this build. Amazing work, for sure. Hard to believe this is the first time you've done this. I'm super impressed! Thanks for sharing.
Hank